Oct 1, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT
Here’s FOX’s Ken Rosenthal, getting it absolutely right on replay:
Baseball, due to its refusal to expand instant replay, is headed for
more controversy this postseason. And the sport’s powers-that-be, led by
commissioner Bud Selig, have no one but themselves to blame.
This is the 21st century. The technology is available to correct
calls, and correct them quickly. Yet baseball prefers to risk the
outcomes of games, subject its umpires to embarrassment and allow
critics to attack its credibility . . . I will not feel sorry for the sport when some blown call occurs in Game 3
of the World Series and the play is shown to death–not just on
all-sports networks but also all-news channels–turning off even casual
I like this mostly because it wasn’t prompted by anything that has happened recently. It’s just a nice reminder that, eventually, something bad is going to happen — something worse than the missed calls we’ve seen in the playoffs in recent years — and when it does baseball is going to get utterly slammed by folks who otherwise never notice it. And if you’re the Commissioner of Baseball, that’s something you should care about.
Best part, though: embedded in the article is a video of Tim McCarver, who disagrees about replay. Rosenthal is the on-the-field reporter for FOX broadcasts. If we get the Armando Galarraga play, part deux, I would hope that FOX lets the two of them have it out over this rather than force Rosenthal to stay silent while McCarver talks about how hard it is to be an umpire and “bang bang plays” and all of that nonsense.
And just for the record — because these posts always lead to big replay argument comment threads and I end up having to argue against challenge flags and such — I favor an umpire up in the booth — not some video tech, but a bona fide umpire — with video monitors and a two-way radio who can call down to the crew chief and say “yo — call time out; you kicked the s— out of that call.” In effect, making it work just like an on-field umpire confab in terms of speed and efficiency.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (164)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)