Oct 1, 2010, 9:13 AM EDT
Here’s FOX’s Ken Rosenthal, getting it absolutely right on replay:
Baseball, due to its refusal to expand instant replay, is headed for
more controversy this postseason. And the sport’s powers-that-be, led by
commissioner Bud Selig, have no one but themselves to blame.
This is the 21st century. The technology is available to correct
calls, and correct them quickly. Yet baseball prefers to risk the
outcomes of games, subject its umpires to embarrassment and allow
critics to attack its credibility . . . I will not feel sorry for the sport when some blown call occurs in Game 3
of the World Series and the play is shown to death–not just on
all-sports networks but also all-news channels–turning off even casual
I like this mostly because it wasn’t prompted by anything that has happened recently. It’s just a nice reminder that, eventually, something bad is going to happen — something worse than the missed calls we’ve seen in the playoffs in recent years — and when it does baseball is going to get utterly slammed by folks who otherwise never notice it. And if you’re the Commissioner of Baseball, that’s something you should care about.
Best part, though: embedded in the article is a video of Tim McCarver, who disagrees about replay. Rosenthal is the on-the-field reporter for FOX broadcasts. If we get the Armando Galarraga play, part deux, I would hope that FOX lets the two of them have it out over this rather than force Rosenthal to stay silent while McCarver talks about how hard it is to be an umpire and “bang bang plays” and all of that nonsense.
And just for the record — because these posts always lead to big replay argument comment threads and I end up having to argue against challenge flags and such — I favor an umpire up in the booth — not some video tech, but a bona fide umpire — with video monitors and a two-way radio who can call down to the crew chief and say “yo — call time out; you kicked the s— out of that call.” In effect, making it work just like an on-field umpire confab in terms of speed and efficiency.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (68)