Troy Tulowitzki isn't pleased with some of his teammates

Oct 1, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT

Troy Tulowitzki isn’t one for (a) modern hairstyles; or (b) cliches about how the team tied its hardest but just fell short. He’s quite out front, in fact, in saying that he’s not happy with some of his teammates:

“There
are definitely some guys in this room that are at points in their
career where it’s make-or-break time. Either they establish themselves
at this level, or they aren’t going to be here. Those guys need to realize that. This offseason is huge. The
offseason is no more enjoy yourself and going on as many vacations as
you possibly can, then go to spring training and get ready. That’s a
valuable lesson that I think a lot of people learned this year. Not
everybody did that, and the guys that did that, it
shows.”

He didn’t say who took too many vacations, but I figure he’s excluding himself and Carlos Gonzalez because they hit well, Todd Helton because he’s old and done but presumably still makes and effort and the pitching staff because their problems were fatigue and injury, not lollygagging.

That basically leaves all of the position players on Tulowitzki’s watch list.  Careful guys: make sure you keep mum about all of those great vacations you’re going to take this winter.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Business in the front…party in the back…Also, THANK YOU Craig, for writing this and not calling him “Tulo” and the other guy “CarGo”

2. Gobias Industries - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Good call, C-Fio.

3. kevinapps - Oct 1, 2010 at 2:59 PM

“makes and effort”
    Sorry. This is one of my major pet peeves. I don’t know why this misuse/typo has increased so much in the past few years, but it drives me crazy. I read posts multiple times a day that use “and” when “an” is the needed word.
    Sorry for the nitpick. That is one that just makes me cringe.

4. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Blame it on the middle finger that demands to hit the “D” key whenever and “A” and and “N” are pressed sequentially.

5. RickyB - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM

It’s a typo, relax. Think about the amount of content this site produces daily and recognize that typos will happen from time to time. If you can’t simply laugh about it and have some fun with the writers on occasion, like when you know Craig was half asleep at 5 a.m. when he talks about how Juan Bautista hit his 53rd and 54th homers, you need an enema to help you relax.
    And I hate to concur with Fiorentino, but pretty much any “nickname” that consists of some barely clever shortening of a name is really freaking lame. Only reason why Hawk Harrelson still deserves a place in the game today — certainly not for his announcing.

6. Jonny5 - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:21 PM

Ohhh now he isn’t all full of himself now or anything.. I mean for a guy who’s never hit above .300 before now and all… I hope the people he’s talking smack about mug him and shave off his mullet. Now that would be cool…

7. Old Gator - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Tulowitzki sounds like John McCain’s campaign staff talking about Sarah Palin.

8. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Hey man, Hawk nicknames make names longer, not shorter. Steve Stone-Pony proves my point. And he has a cult following that enjoy his “place” in the game…I drank the Kool-Aid awhile back and have since become transfixed from time to time with his wonky antics. (That’s the first time I’ve ever typed “wonky”)

9. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Oh, and please please please don’t prod C-Fio’s ego into any further expansion by concurring with anything he says.

10. Trevor B - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM

Tulo thinks he has it bad?! At least he isn’t Felix Hernandez… that guy just doesn’t try hard enough every 5 days to get the win. I’m sure he isn’t trying hard enough the other 4 of those 5 days, too.

11. kevinapps - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:46 PM

There was another typo on a very recent post that I just shrugged about. It was obvious he was just banging away trying to get the post up as quickly as possible. No biggie. Mistakes happen.
    But the an/and thing happens so often that I’ve started to question whether it’s really just a typo in all cases. I’m starting to believe that some people really think that “and” is correct. I used to just assume it was a typo, as there are words that I often add a letter to the end by accident when typing quickly and have to go back and correct. But I see it so often that I wonder if it’s really just a typo.

12. Utley's hair - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:17 PM

But King Felix just doesn’t know how to win. Tulowitzki does–just not enough to overcome the work ethic of his teammates.

13. Lans Downe - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Or maybe from the sub-population of rats deserting the good ship Obama-pop.

14. RickyB - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:31 PM

A nickname doesn’t have to be shorter to be good. For instance, Babe is a great nickname, but so is Sultan of Swat. Not shorter, but much more colorful.

15. Old Gator - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Buddha help them if they’re slotted on the track of Nancy Pelosi’s pheromones.

16. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:56 PM

True that Tricky Ricky B Good

17. Kevin S. - Oct 1, 2010 at 5:23 PM

F-Her is a glaring exception.

18. count_schemula - Oct 1, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Funny that he says all that right after a personal hot streak.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3978)