Oct 1, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT
I’m guessing that love letters from a college-age George Steinbrenner would be just a notch below Vogon poetry on the hideousness scale, but I’d kinda like to see them anyway. And lucky for us, they’re being auctioned!
Mary Jane Schriner met the future Yankees owner when she was 16 years
old and he was entering Williams College in Ohio. The two shared dates
and friendship until they grew apart during their college years.
Steinbrenner died earlier this summer at age 80.
From 1949-1951, Steinbrenner sent at least 19 letters to the girl in
Ohio. Some are handwritten while others are typed. The content
includes talk of Steinbrenner’s difficulties in college, future plans
and some good natured kidding dished out by the future shipbuilding
company chief to the girl who had caught his eye.
Ms. Schriner is now 77 and is selling them. Which, hey, fair enough. Odd, though, that she’s doing so after saying that she didn’t want to donate them to the Hall of Fame because “they would cause untold embarrassment and damages to the Steinbrenner family.” But selling them is OK? To a total strangers? Alrighty then . . .
The minimum bid is $100,000, however, so I’m guessing she’s not going to find any takers.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 9
- The Lester trade is a win-win 97
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 153
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (156)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)