Oct 1, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT
I’m guessing that love letters from a college-age George Steinbrenner would be just a notch below Vogon poetry on the hideousness scale, but I’d kinda like to see them anyway. And lucky for us, they’re being auctioned!
Mary Jane Schriner met the future Yankees owner when she was 16 years
old and he was entering Williams College in Ohio. The two shared dates
and friendship until they grew apart during their college years.
Steinbrenner died earlier this summer at age 80.
From 1949-1951, Steinbrenner sent at least 19 letters to the girl in
Ohio. Some are handwritten while others are typed. The content
includes talk of Steinbrenner’s difficulties in college, future plans
and some good natured kidding dished out by the future shipbuilding
company chief to the girl who had caught his eye.
Ms. Schriner is now 77 and is selling them. Which, hey, fair enough. Odd, though, that she’s doing so after saying that she didn’t want to donate them to the Hall of Fame because “they would cause untold embarrassment and damages to the Steinbrenner family.” But selling them is OK? To a total strangers? Alrighty then . . .
The minimum bid is $100,000, however, so I’m guessing she’s not going to find any takers.
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 13
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 46
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)