Oct 1, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT
I’m guessing that love letters from a college-age George Steinbrenner would be just a notch below Vogon poetry on the hideousness scale, but I’d kinda like to see them anyway. And lucky for us, they’re being auctioned!
Mary Jane Schriner met the future Yankees owner when she was 16 years
old and he was entering Williams College in Ohio. The two shared dates
and friendship until they grew apart during their college years.
Steinbrenner died earlier this summer at age 80.
From 1949-1951, Steinbrenner sent at least 19 letters to the girl in
Ohio. Some are handwritten while others are typed. The content
includes talk of Steinbrenner’s difficulties in college, future plans
and some good natured kidding dished out by the future shipbuilding
company chief to the girl who had caught his eye.
Ms. Schriner is now 77 and is selling them. Which, hey, fair enough. Odd, though, that she’s doing so after saying that she didn’t want to donate them to the Hall of Fame because “they would cause untold embarrassment and damages to the Steinbrenner family.” But selling them is OK? To a total strangers? Alrighty then . . .
The minimum bid is $100,000, however, so I’m guessing she’s not going to find any takers.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)