Oct 1, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT
I’m guessing that love letters from a college-age George Steinbrenner would be just a notch below Vogon poetry on the hideousness scale, but I’d kinda like to see them anyway. And lucky for us, they’re being auctioned!
Mary Jane Schriner met the future Yankees owner when she was 16 years
old and he was entering Williams College in Ohio. The two shared dates
and friendship until they grew apart during their college years.
Steinbrenner died earlier this summer at age 80.
From 1949-1951, Steinbrenner sent at least 19 letters to the girl in
Ohio. Some are handwritten while others are typed. The content
includes talk of Steinbrenner’s difficulties in college, future plans
and some good natured kidding dished out by the future shipbuilding
company chief to the girl who had caught his eye.
Ms. Schriner is now 77 and is selling them. Which, hey, fair enough. Odd, though, that she’s doing so after saying that she didn’t want to donate them to the Hall of Fame because “they would cause untold embarrassment and damages to the Steinbrenner family.” But selling them is OK? To a total strangers? Alrighty then . . .
The minimum bid is $100,000, however, so I’m guessing she’s not going to find any takers.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 60
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)