Wanna buy George Steinbrenner's mash notes?

Oct 1, 2010, 3:32 PM EST

I’m guessing that love letters from a college-age George Steinbrenner would be just a notch below Vogon poetry on the hideousness scale, but I’d kinda like to see them anyway. And lucky for us, they’re being auctioned!

Mary Jane Schriner met the future Yankees owner when she was 16 years
old and he was entering Williams College in Ohio.  The two shared dates
and friendship until they grew apart during their college years.
Steinbrenner died earlier this summer at age 80.

From 1949-1951, Steinbrenner sent at least 19 letters to the girl in
Ohio.     Some are handwritten while others are typed.  The content
includes talk of Steinbrenner’s difficulties in college, future plans
and some good natured kidding dished out by the future shipbuilding
company chief to the girl who had caught his eye.

Ms. Schriner is now 77 and is selling them. Which, hey, fair enough. Odd, though, that she’s doing so after saying that she didn’t want to donate them to the Hall of Fame because “they would cause untold embarrassment and damages to the Steinbrenner family.” But selling them is OK? To a total strangers? Alrighty then . . .

The minimum bid is $100,000, however, so I’m guessing she’s not going to find any takers.

1. Lans Downe - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM

I always thought Steinbrenner went to Williams College in Williamstown, MA?

2. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Thanks for posting this, Craig (sarcasm). You reminded me that I share a bond with George in that we both hail from Williams College. Many of us Ephs aren’t proud of this fact, but then again I know the Williams baseball team never had an issue playing in the Yanks spring training facility every spring break.

3. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM

…and of course Williams College is in Mass., not Ohio.

4. Gobias Industries - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:08 PM

That’s Craig for you. He thinks the world revolves around his precious Ohio.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Or it means that the person who wrote the article I quoted is the one who got it wrong.

6. Gobias Industries - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Crap, he was just quoting the article. My mom’s right, I am a failure.

7. (Not That) Tom - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:11 PM

“My Dearest Mary Jane,
    You love to me means more than anything in this world. I hope you will accept my proposal of courtship. I am willing to offer 3 years, $42 million, with a vesting player option for 1952.
    Love,
    George”

8. Gobias Industries - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, I picked up on that eventually. I dropped out of school in the third grade to work the fields on my Pa’s farm, so my reading skills ain’t too good.

9. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:21 PM

It doesn’t really matter. Four people outside of the Alumni network know where the hell Williams is located. Everyone DOES know that Amherst sucks though (bring it you book-stealing Lord Jeffs!) Just watch out for the epic Williams v. Amherst game on ESPN2 in early November (they air it every year – a year or two ago, College Gameday was shot at Williams). That will get your Div III college football juices flowin’! …or somethin’…

10. JBerardi - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Win.

11. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM

Something tells me that Georgey never got anywhere close to anything called Mary Jane….just out of character for him.

12. Jonny5 - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:33 PM

And the first punishment by the Devil is handed to Darth Steinbrenner in the form of his sweetheart selling his love letters. They probably reveal his love for wearing satin panties all day long.

13. f*ck la - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:39 PM

Gotta love statutory rape.

14. geoknows - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Gag. Ick.

15. Mr. Heyward - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I think you meant Satan panties.

16. Flup - Oct 1, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Big ol’ win with the Adams allusion – made my afternoon.

17. IdahoMariner - Oct 1, 2010 at 5:19 PM

Yay for the Vogon poetry!!!!

18. IdahoMariner - Oct 1, 2010 at 5:21 PM

and the picture of george totally looks like Steve Dallas, the lawyer in Bloom County, just, ya know, aged a bit. no chin, dark glasses … even the smirk. wow. Douglas Adams (via Vogon poetry) and Berkeley Breathed (via photo) in one post. Craig is swingin’ for the fences today.

19. mschriner - Oct 2, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Hi Craig,
    Thank you for mentioning my mother’s letters. I wanted to clarify that she asked to sell them because the Steinbrenner’s told her she could not author a book about them. They also instructed the Baseball Hall of Fame not to accept the letters. If she wrote the book she would have donated the letters.
    She liked writing the NY Times story. Hundreds of people wrote to her to ask for more details. It was a simply a feel good story and not anything else. She kept the letters for 60 years and occasionally pulled them out to reminisce. Since she can’t share her story and she can’t donate her letters she asked if I could help sell them to a collector. She is sad that the Steinbrenner’s didn’t realize what a nice story she had to share. She can no longer read the letters since she has lost her sight.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5948)