Chan Ho Park made some history last night

Oct 2, 2010, 10:51 AM EDT

We haven’t heard much from Chan Ho Park this season — outside of these infamous comments during his brief stint with the Yankees — but I guess that’s what happens when you get shipped off to Pittsburgh.

Still, it’s worth mentioning that Park made history last night tossing by three scoreless innings for his 124th career victory. The 37-year-old right-hander passed Hideo Nomo for the most ever by an Asian-born pitcher, according to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com.

“One hundred, twenty-four is not great for the Major Leagues, but it’s
very special. It makes me think about 17 years
ago, when I first came [to America]. I think about the people who
brought me here and helped me. I’ve met a lot of special people through
my career, and today, that means a lot.”

Park, a South Korean native, has a 124-98 record and 4.36 ERA over 17 seasons in the major leagues. Less impressive because Nomo only pitched part of 12 seasons in major leagues, but quite a feather in his cap, anyway.

1. Pisano - Oct 2, 2010 at 12:25 PM

He was a great help to the Yankees. You can add AJ Burnett , Javier Vazquez , Joba , and a few others and you will see why the Yankees struggled this year .

2. Old Gator - Oct 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM

One service that Park did perform last night was guarantee that Scrooge McLoria’s K-Mart budget Feesh will fail to embrace Gator’s Strange Attractor for a 28th time this year and finish as the bunch of losers that our Titan of Tightwads deserves. The “world’s first Puerto Rican major league manager,” Edwin Rodriguez, was quoted as blaming injuries to Chris Coghlan, Hanley Ramirez, Ricky Nolasco and Josh Johnson (the last three of whom were injured – or, at least, worn out – only within the past few weeks) for the team’s dismal showing this year. I guess he was too…ahem!…polite to mention that the Captain of Cheapskate’s refusal to go out and invest in a functional boolpen this winter had a little bit of impact on the situation. I need to go back and find that stat about how many times Feesh starters left with leads and wound up with NDs or even losses tanks to the guys who had their backs, or were supposed to. It was an eye-opener. But it’s a warm, breezy Saturday afternoon in Macondo; the sun is dropping behind my palms, sapodillas, starfruit and and papaya trees to the west leaving a warmed swimming pool glistening like liquid crystals. You think I’m going to go look up a stat that’ll depress me now?

3. Old Gator - Oct 2, 2010 at 3:44 PM

One service that Park did perform last night was guarantee that Scrooge McLoria’s K-Mart budget Feesh will fail to embrace Gator’s Strange Attractor for a 28th time this year and finish as the bunch of losers that our Titan of Tightwads deserves. The “world’s first Puerto Rican major league manager,” Edwin Rodriguez, was quoted as blaming injuries to Chris Coghlan, Hanley Ramirez, Ricky Nolasco and Josh Johnson (the last three of whom were injured – or, at least, worn out – only within the past few weeks) for the team’s dismal showing this year. I guess he was too…ahem!…polite to mention that the Captain of Cheapskate’s refusal to go out and invest in a functional boolpen this winter had a little bit of impact on the situation. I need to go back and find that stat about how many times Feesh starters left with leads and wound up with NDs or even losses thanks to the guys who had their backs, or were supposed to. It was an eye-opener. But it’s a warm, breezy Saturday afternoon in Macondo; the sun is dropping behind my palms, sapodillas, starfruit and and papaya trees to the west leaving a warmed swimming pool glistening like liquid crystals. You think I’m going to go look up a stat that’ll depress me now?
    Fat chance. What did I do with my pina colada anyway?

4. Akshun - Oct 2, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Biggest mistake of his career was pricing himself off the Phillies bullpen before this season…

5. RichardInBigD - Oct 2, 2010 at 5:19 PM

I believe he set a record while in Texas. Over the course of his 5 year/$65 million contract while here, he produced 22 wins, while keepinf his ERA between 5.6 and 7.5. That’s nearly $3 million per win, which, for a starting pitcher has GOT TO BE a record! I would say, in retrospect, he had more to do than even A-Rod with Tom Hicks financial demise (without discounting Hicks’ perpetual baseball stupidity).

6. Professor Longnose - Oct 2, 2010 at 7:39 PM

As more Asian pitchers come to America, it is more likely the record won’t last long.
    A lot of Asian pitchers have been underwhelming in the US,a nd I think it’s because they come here too late. Most are already 25 and established. Teams should go scouting around for minor leaguers, and bring them here to get their minor league experience here. Against better competition, the ones that make it would be better pitchers.

7. Seattleite - Oct 2, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Really? You think that was a bigger mistake than signing with Texas? Nah, you just must be one of those guys that thinks the world revolves around Philadelphia.

8. Seattleite - Oct 2, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Darren Dreifort’s gotta be close.

9. John_Michael - Oct 3, 2010 at 8:52 AM

Struggled? Seriously? They’re a 95 win team going into the last day of the season and tied for the AL East lead. Struggled? They have a .590 winning percentage (which only trails the Phils’ .602). They basically mailed in the last two weeks of the season to rest up the rotation for the playoffs. You can list players that have been disappointments, sure (that list has to start with Jeter, by the way), but to say that they Yankees have struggled through the season is just stupidly silly.

10. John_Michael - Oct 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Seattleite: You think signing a a huuuuuuge contract is a career mistake?
    Akshun: You think pitching well was a mistake?
    The biggest mistakes I’m aware of were your decisions to post your respective illogical, nonsensical, blithering cerebral ‘rhea.

11. John_Michael - Oct 3, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Once a player is under conract with a Nippon organization, they must go through the official posting process. Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_system
    The way around that would be to sign young, I’m thinking late teen, players to minor league contracts. This, hypothetically, would be within the guidelines of the NPB and MLB however the success rate of a teen eventually making a MLB roster would be low, driving down the price that an MLB team would offer the Japanese teen in the first place. This would cause young players to opt for signing NPB contracts, which is where we are now.
    That, and the way Bud Lite is trying to expand MLB into the Japanese market by playing spring training games there, I would guess that if a team wanted to seriously pursue a Japenese teen EYP, they’d face some pretty serious political pressure from the commish as such an act would erode the goodwill that Bud has built up overseas.
    Your point is very good though. Teams should try to find low cost, high ceiling talent where ever they can. Why no team has made serious inroads, to my knowledge, in India is beyond me. Where’s Kiwicricket for his batsman insight?

12. Pisano - Oct 3, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Yes struggled , on paper that team should have ran away and hid from the Rays . Your right about Jeter , he’s in rapid decline , as is Posada , He can’t throw anyone out . I’ll give you more food for thought , if they get a chance to get Soriano of the Rays , who’ll be a free agent at the end of the season , they had better jump on him , because the writing is on the wall for Rivera . He’ll be 41 soon , and you can’t keep going to the well for a guy of that age . The Yankees need to get rid of Joba , replace Posada , and a few others to be competitive next year . They have gotten old fast .They need a major onerhaul.

13. BC - Oct 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM

He’s been pitching for 17 years??!?!
    Damn, I’m old.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3116)