Oct 2, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
With the help of a fine outing by starter Tim Stauffer and production from the top of the lineup, the Padres grabbed a 4-2 victory over the Giants on Saturday in San Francisco and kept their playoff hopes alive.
A win in Sunday’s regular season finale would force a one-game playoff for the National League West crown. A loss probably means the end of the Padres’ season.
The Braves fell to the Phillies 7-0 this afternoon and are currently tied with the Giants in the hunt for the National League Wild Card. Depending what happens tomorrow in Atlanta’s own regular season finale, we could see a one-game playoff to decide the Wild Card as well.
It’s all a bit confusing, sure, but it’s also really, really exciting. Gotta love October.
NBCSports.com has a breakdown of all the possible playoff scenarios heading into Sunday.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (130)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)