Oct 2, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
With the help of a fine outing by starter Tim Stauffer and production from the top of the lineup, the Padres grabbed a 4-2 victory over the Giants on Saturday in San Francisco and kept their playoff hopes alive.
A win in Sunday’s regular season finale would force a one-game playoff for the National League West crown. A loss probably means the end of the Padres’ season.
The Braves fell to the Phillies 7-0 this afternoon and are currently tied with the Giants in the hunt for the National League Wild Card. Depending what happens tomorrow in Atlanta’s own regular season finale, we could see a one-game playoff to decide the Wild Card as well.
It’s all a bit confusing, sure, but it’s also really, really exciting. Gotta love October.
NBCSports.com has a breakdown of all the possible playoff scenarios heading into Sunday.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)