Oct 2, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
With the help of a fine outing by starter Tim Stauffer and production from the top of the lineup, the Padres grabbed a 4-2 victory over the Giants on Saturday in San Francisco and kept their playoff hopes alive.
A win in Sunday’s regular season finale would force a one-game playoff for the National League West crown. A loss probably means the end of the Padres’ season.
The Braves fell to the Phillies 7-0 this afternoon and are currently tied with the Giants in the hunt for the National League Wild Card. Depending what happens tomorrow in Atlanta’s own regular season finale, we could see a one-game playoff to decide the Wild Card as well.
It’s all a bit confusing, sure, but it’s also really, really exciting. Gotta love October.
NBCSports.com has a breakdown of all the possible playoff scenarios heading into Sunday.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)