Oct 2, 2010, 7:53 PM EST
With the help of a fine outing by starter Tim Stauffer and production from the top of the lineup, the Padres grabbed a 4-2 victory over the Giants on Saturday in San Francisco and kept their playoff hopes alive.
A win in Sunday’s regular season finale would force a one-game playoff for the National League West crown. A loss probably means the end of the Padres’ season.
The Braves fell to the Phillies 7-0 this afternoon and are currently tied with the Giants in the hunt for the National League Wild Card. Depending what happens tomorrow in Atlanta’s own regular season finale, we could see a one-game playoff to decide the Wild Card as well.
It’s all a bit confusing, sure, but it’s also really, really exciting. Gotta love October.
NBCSports.com has a breakdown of all the possible playoff scenarios heading into Sunday.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 93
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 30
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)