Oct 2, 2010, 7:53 PM EDT
With the help of a fine outing by starter Tim Stauffer and production from the top of the lineup, the Padres grabbed a 4-2 victory over the Giants on Saturday in San Francisco and kept their playoff hopes alive.
A win in Sunday’s regular season finale would force a one-game playoff for the National League West crown. A loss probably means the end of the Padres’ season.
The Braves fell to the Phillies 7-0 this afternoon and are currently tied with the Giants in the hunt for the National League Wild Card. Depending what happens tomorrow in Atlanta’s own regular season finale, we could see a one-game playoff to decide the Wild Card as well.
It’s all a bit confusing, sure, but it’s also really, really exciting. Gotta love October.
NBCSports.com has a breakdown of all the possible playoff scenarios heading into Sunday.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 16
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 91
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)