Oct 2, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
Brandon Webb might be making progress.
According to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse, the impending free agent hit 84 MPH with his fastball in a second instructional league appearance Saturday. He hit just 81 MPH in his first appearance earlier this week and showed an ineffective curveball.
Webb hasn’t thrown a pitch in a major league game since the first week of the 2009 season but is hoping to find a one-year deal this winter that will help him revitalize his career.
The Nationals are keeping an eye on him, as are a few other teams. But he threw his sinking fastball on 71% of his deliveries back in 2008 and needs at least some velocity for it to be an effective pitch.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)