Oct 2, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
Brandon Webb might be making progress.
According to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse, the impending free agent hit 84 MPH with his fastball in a second instructional league appearance Saturday. He hit just 81 MPH in his first appearance earlier this week and showed an ineffective curveball.
Webb hasn’t thrown a pitch in a major league game since the first week of the 2009 season but is hoping to find a one-year deal this winter that will help him revitalize his career.
The Nationals are keeping an eye on him, as are a few other teams. But he threw his sinking fastball on 71% of his deliveries back in 2008 and needs at least some velocity for it to be an effective pitch.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 0
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 14
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 17
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 58
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)