Oct 2, 2010, 9:10 PM EDT
Brandon Webb might be making progress.
According to Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse, the impending free agent hit 84 MPH with his fastball in a second instructional league appearance Saturday. He hit just 81 MPH in his first appearance earlier this week and showed an ineffective curveball.
Webb hasn’t thrown a pitch in a major league game since the first week of the 2009 season but is hoping to find a one-year deal this winter that will help him revitalize his career.
The Nationals are keeping an eye on him, as are a few other teams. But he threw his sinking fastball on 71% of his deliveries back in 2008 and needs at least some velocity for it to be an effective pitch.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 63
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 62
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29