Oct 3, 2010, 8:34 AM EDT
No matter the results, really, this is going to be a crazy day in the baseball world. Let’s lay out the possible scenarios before everything gets going.
The Padres, 90-71, are one game back of the Giants in the NL West and tied with the Braves in the NL Wild Card.
The Giants, 91-70, lead the NL West by one game.
The Braves, 90-71, share the NL Wild Card currently with the Padres.
- If the Giants beat the Padres on Sunday, the Giants take the NL West. Then if the Braves beat the Phillies, the Braves take the NL Wild Card.
- If the Giants beat the Padres but the Braves lose to the Phillies, there would be a one-game playoff in Atlanta between the Padres and Braves for the NL Wild Card.
- If the Padres beat the Giants and the Braves lose, the Padres would win the NL West because they won the season series against the Giants. And the Giants, then, would win the Wild Card.
- If the Padres and Braves both win, all teams would finish with a 91-71 record, marking the first-ever three-team tiebreaker in MLB history. The Giants and Padres would play a one-game playoff in San Diego on Monday to decide the division. The loser would then head to Atlanta for a one-game playoff on Tuesday that would decide the Wild Card.
For what it’s worth, we’re rooting for that last one.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (220)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)