Oct 3, 2010, 8:34 AM EDT
No matter the results, really, this is going to be a crazy day in the baseball world. Let’s lay out the possible scenarios before everything gets going.
The Padres, 90-71, are one game back of the Giants in the NL West and tied with the Braves in the NL Wild Card.
The Giants, 91-70, lead the NL West by one game.
The Braves, 90-71, share the NL Wild Card currently with the Padres.
- If the Giants beat the Padres on Sunday, the Giants take the NL West. Then if the Braves beat the Phillies, the Braves take the NL Wild Card.
- If the Giants beat the Padres but the Braves lose to the Phillies, there would be a one-game playoff in Atlanta between the Padres and Braves for the NL Wild Card.
- If the Padres beat the Giants and the Braves lose, the Padres would win the NL West because they won the season series against the Giants. And the Giants, then, would win the Wild Card.
- If the Padres and Braves both win, all teams would finish with a 91-71 record, marking the first-ever three-team tiebreaker in MLB history. The Giants and Padres would play a one-game playoff in San Diego on Monday to decide the division. The loser would then head to Atlanta for a one-game playoff on Tuesday that would decide the Wild Card.
For what it’s worth, we’re rooting for that last one.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 10
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 36
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 49
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)