Oct 3, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Managing to avoid a home sweep, the Giants topped the Padres 3-0 on Sunday to win the NL West title. They’ll face the wild card Braves in the NLDS.
Had the Padres won today, it would have forced two one-game playoffs, with the loser of Monday’s Giants-Padres game facing the Braves on Tuesday.
The Giants, though, managed to quiet San Diego’s mediocre lineup. Jonathan Sanchez walked five, but pitched five scoreless innings anyway, and Santiago Casilla and Brian Wilson came through with strong showings in relief. The Padres’ got a nice performance from the struggling Mat Latos, but they couldn’t put together any rallies even after getting two men on in both the sixth and seventh innings. Buster Posey hit a solo homer in the bottom of the eighth to provide the Giants with an insurance run.
With the Giants’ victory, the NL East champion Phillies and NL Central champion Reds will face off in the other divisional series.
- Orioles finally lose a game when leading after seven 0
- Joey Votto reaches base six times as Reds rout Phillies 9
- Troy Tulowitzki says he wasn’t accusing Madison Bumgarner of cheating 6
- Quote of the Day: Brian Cashman is keeping Ben Francisco around to “piss everybody off” 28
- Report: Mets considering demoting Ike Davis 5
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit