Giants survive, eliminate Padres as NL postseason picture settled

Oct 3, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT

Managing to avoid a home sweep, the Giants topped the Padres 3-0 on Sunday to win the NL West title. They’ll face the wild card Braves in the NLDS.
Had the Padres won today, it would have forced two one-game playoffs, with the loser of Monday’s Giants-Padres game facing the Braves on Tuesday.
The Giants, though, managed to quiet San Diego’s mediocre lineup. Jonathan Sanchez walked five, but pitched five scoreless innings anyway, and Santiago Casilla and Brian Wilson came through with strong showings in relief. The Padres’ got a nice performance from the struggling Mat Latos, but they couldn’t put together any rallies even after getting two men on in both the sixth and seventh innings. Buster Posey hit a solo homer in the bottom of the eighth to provide the Giants with an insurance run.
With the Giants’ victory, the NL East champion Phillies and NL Central champion Reds will face off in the other divisional series.

1. beezo - Oct 3, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Too bad, I really wanted to see some die-hard Padres fans with friar cuts.

2. Tribester - Oct 3, 2010 at 9:51 PM

I was shocked at Jonathan Sanchez’s triple.

3. Old Gator - Oct 3, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Bigtime choke, Padres. But APBA Guy has his postseason cut out for him. Good on ya, Murgatroyd!

4. birdmancometh - Oct 4, 2010 at 11:02 AM

It was a rough September, but you have to give the Padres a ton of credit. To win 90 games with that lineup is something really amazing. I would leave the “choke” talk behind when talking about this team. I only hope they can do something positive in the offseason and make another run next year. There is truly nothing to like about the Giants or Dodgers.

5. Marklar - Oct 4, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Nothing to like about the Giants? how can you not like Lincecum, Cain or Sanchez? or not like Huff or Posey or Torres? How about Romo, Affeldt or Wilson? Giants have a very likable team… bunch of young dudes who are far from cocky.

6. El Rayo X - Oct 4, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Was at the game yesterday. This Giants team may not have the strongest lineup, but they have a ton of heart. Over the last few years, if the Giants were down a couple of runs late, the game was over – just turn off the TV and go to sleep. This year was different – they scrapped and kicked and bit and clawed until the last out. Finally, you wanted to watch every minute, even if they were down. I think they match up pretty well against Atlanta, but Philly will be a rough go if they get past the Braves…

7. APBA Guy - Oct 4, 2010 at 3:29 PM

I have my orange SF hat ready to go. But for how long? I do like the Giants pitching, but overall, the Phils are the class of the NL and I expect them to get to the WS, easily.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act