Oct 3, 2010, 3:25 PM EST
UPDATE: Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona says the decision has been made. Gibson will be back.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com new Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers will make an announcement “regarding manager Kirk Gibson and coaching staff” Monday, with the assumption being that Gibson will be named the full-time manager after filling the role on an interim basis for the final 83 games of the season.
Gibson’s winning percentage is actually slightly worse than the .420 mark that predecessor A.J. Hinch posted in one-plus season on the job before being fired, but the former MVP and World Series hero has generally received positive reviews from Diamondbacks players and the media.
Towers and Gibson recently spent time together on a road trip in what the GM described as “a getting-to-know-each-other session.” In addition to apparently keeping Gibson as manager, Towers also successfully kept Jerry Dipoto in the organization after the former interim GM finished runner-up to him in the full-time GM job search.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)