Oct 3, 2010, 3:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona says the decision has been made. Gibson will be back.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com new Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers will make an announcement “regarding manager Kirk Gibson and coaching staff” Monday, with the assumption being that Gibson will be named the full-time manager after filling the role on an interim basis for the final 83 games of the season.
Gibson’s winning percentage is actually slightly worse than the .420 mark that predecessor A.J. Hinch posted in one-plus season on the job before being fired, but the former MVP and World Series hero has generally received positive reviews from Diamondbacks players and the media.
Towers and Gibson recently spent time together on a road trip in what the GM described as “a getting-to-know-each-other session.” In addition to apparently keeping Gibson as manager, Towers also successfully kept Jerry Dipoto in the organization after the former interim GM finished runner-up to him in the full-time GM job search.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)