Oct 3, 2010, 3:25 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona says the decision has been made. Gibson will be back.
According to Steve Gilbert of MLB.com new Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers will make an announcement “regarding manager Kirk Gibson and coaching staff” Monday, with the assumption being that Gibson will be named the full-time manager after filling the role on an interim basis for the final 83 games of the season.
Gibson’s winning percentage is actually slightly worse than the .420 mark that predecessor A.J. Hinch posted in one-plus season on the job before being fired, but the former MVP and World Series hero has generally received positive reviews from Diamondbacks players and the media.
Towers and Gibson recently spent time together on a road trip in what the GM described as “a getting-to-know-each-other session.” In addition to apparently keeping Gibson as manager, Towers also successfully kept Jerry Dipoto in the organization after the former interim GM finished runner-up to him in the full-time GM job search.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)