Oct 3, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
Some MLB teams are entering this final day of the regular season with an eye on clinching a playoff spot. Others are hoping to avoid loss No. 101.
The Mariners dropped their 100th game of the season on Saturday night with a 5-3 loss to the A’s at Seattle’s Safeco Field. David Pauley allowed four runs over seven innings, Chone Figgins went 0-for-4, and the M’s were shut down by Oakland starter Brett Anderson.
Seattle manager Daren Brown, who is 19-30 since taking over for Don Wakamatsu in mid-August, spoke to the Everett Herald after the game.
“I don’t look at it as a milestone,” Brown said. “A milestone is
something you’re going to remember.”
The M’s opened this season with hype and promise, but a lack of power plagued them all year long and they were easily out-hit on most nights. Felix Hernandez had a season worthy of Cy Young hardware and guys like Jason Vargas and Doug Fister also pitched well, but Seattle simply couldn’t score runs and will finish the year ranked last in hits, doubles, triples and home runs. General manager Jack Zduriencik will look into changing that this winter.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (353)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (194)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)