Oct 3, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
Some MLB teams are entering this final day of the regular season with an eye on clinching a playoff spot. Others are hoping to avoid loss No. 101.
The Mariners dropped their 100th game of the season on Saturday night with a 5-3 loss to the A’s at Seattle’s Safeco Field. David Pauley allowed four runs over seven innings, Chone Figgins went 0-for-4, and the M’s were shut down by Oakland starter Brett Anderson.
Seattle manager Daren Brown, who is 19-30 since taking over for Don Wakamatsu in mid-August, spoke to the Everett Herald after the game.
“I don’t look at it as a milestone,” Brown said. “A milestone is
something you’re going to remember.”
The M’s opened this season with hype and promise, but a lack of power plagued them all year long and they were easily out-hit on most nights. Felix Hernandez had a season worthy of Cy Young hardware and guys like Jason Vargas and Doug Fister also pitched well, but Seattle simply couldn’t score runs and will finish the year ranked last in hits, doubles, triples and home runs. General manager Jack Zduriencik will look into changing that this winter.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)