Oct 3, 2010, 12:21 PM EDT
After acquiring Phil Coke from the Yankees this winter the Tigers talked about potentially putting him into the rotation, but eventually decided to keep him in the bullpen.
He’s had a strong season, posting a 3.57 ERA and 51/25 K/BB ratio in 63 innings as a left-handed setup man, but the Tigers haven’t given up on the idea of him being a starter and in fact manager Jim Leyland announced today that Coke will head into spring training as a penciled-in member of the 2011 rotation.
“I’ve told Coke I’m 99.9 percent sure of it,” Leyland said. “But I’m not going to discuss it any more than that. If I change my mind, I don’t want him to think I lied to him. But I don’t think that’s going to happen.”
Coke will make his first career start this afternoon against the Orioles after working out of the bullpen in each of his first 157 appearances. However, he was primarily a starter in the minors and hasn’t shown much of a platoon split in the majors, shutting down lefties while also holding righties to .241/.332/.359.
I’m always in favor of giving pitchers every opportunity to fill a 200-inning role before putting them into a 60-inning role for the long haul, and certainly at 27 years old Coke looks capable of developing into a solid mid-rotation starter in Detroit. Right now the Tigers’ projected 2011 rotation is Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, Coke, and Armando Galarraga, with Jeremy Bonderman likely departing as a free agent.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 76
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)