Oct 4, 2010, 8:48 AM EDT
I realize that one or two clicks can get you this information just about anywhere, but I used to dig the league-leader cards back in the day, and creating this post gave me a decent fraction of the kind of enjoyment I used to get perusing them, so what the hell?
AL: Josh Hamilton: .359
NL: Carlos Gonzalez: .336
Commentary: This is the seventh time a Rockies hitter has led the NL in average in the eighteen seasons the team has been in existence. Rockies hitters have never led the AL in average. That would be really somethin’, though, eh?
AL: Jose Bautista: 54
NL: Albert Pujols: 42
Commentary: Damn steroids. Just like George Foster in 1977 and Cecil Fielder in 1990!
AL: Miguel Cabrera: 126
NL: Albert Pujols: 118
Commentary: Each leader won their league’s RBI crown by a single RBI.
AL: Juan Pierre: 68
NL: Michael Bourn: 52
Commentary: Pierre was only 14th in success rate. Bourn was 5th. Coco Crisp and Carlos Gomez took the prize in those categories.
AL: Josh Hamilton: 1.043
NL: Joey Votto: 1.021
Commentary: I wonder if any of the voters who used to mindlessly give their first place MVP vote to the RBI champ have switched to mindlessly giving their vote to the OPS leader? Not a smart way to go about things, even if it would make for a pretty smart vote this year.
AL: CC Sabathia: 21
NL: Roy Halladay: 21
Commentary: I wonder if anyone made the argument that Dave Goltz should have won the Cy Young award in 1977 due to tying for the most wins in the league. I mean, hell, he had seven more wins than Sparky Lyle did that year. Sparky Lyle just didn’t know how to win I guess.
AL: Felix Hernandez: 2.27
NL: Josh Johnson: 2.30
Commentary: Jeremy Bonderman (5.53) and Paul Maholm (5.10) bring up the rear among qualifiers.
AL: Jered Weaver: 233
NL: Tim Lincecum: 231
Commentary: Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are
boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s
AL: Rafael Soriano: 45
NL: Brian Wilson: 48
Commentary: Wilson also led the league in bad hair, ugly shoes, sloppy uniforms, Just For Men consumption and douchey looking beards.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 0
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)