Oct 4, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
After sitting out the Orioles’ season finale yesterday for his sixth consecutive missed game Brian Roberts revealed that he’s been bothered by “concussion-like symptoms” that have led to “lack of balance and some headaches, and just stuff that hasn’t been a whole lot of fun.”
Roberts, who missed nearly the entire first half of the season with a herniated disk in his lower back, is scheduled to undergo a cat scan today in an effort to find the cause of the headaches. Here’s more from the All-Star second baseman:
I don’t know 100 percent sure [what caused the headaches], but it was Monday night. In frustration, I whacked myself on the head with my bat in the ninth. I had my helmet on. It’s something I’ve done a million times, but I still can’t tell you for sure if that was it. But that’s the only thing that I can point to because that night and the next morning, I just didn’t feel good.
Buck Showalter is getting most of the credit for Baltimore’s late-season turnaround, and rightfully so, but getting Roberts back into the lineup was also key for the Orioles. They went 29-26 with Roberts in the lineup during the second half as he hit .287/.361/.403 in 245 plate appearances.
He’s under contract for $10 million in each of the next three seasons.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)