Oct 4, 2010, 8:42 PM EDT
David Murphy tested his injured groin Monday by taking batting practice, shagging some flyballs and doing some light throwing, according to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com.
“I feel good,” Murphy said. “I probably ran out there at 50 to 60 percent. I’m not going to know until I ramp it up some more.”
Murphy hasn’t played since last straining his left groin during last Wednesday’s game against the Mariners. He told Durrett that he thinks he will be good to go for the ALDS if he is at 80 to 85 percent.
The good news is that because Jeff Francoeur is expected to be in the starting lineup as the right fielder in Game 1 against left-hander David Price on Wednesday, Murphy will actually have an extra day to get ready.
The 28-year-old Murphy batted .291/.358/.449 with 12 homers and 65 RBI during the regular season, including a .298 batting average and 847 OPS against right-handers. After Wednesday, the Rangers are tentatively scheduled to face James Shields, Matt Garza and (if necessary) Wade Davis — all of them right-handers. Just one of those little things to look out for.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 21
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 36
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)