Oct 4, 2010, 8:42 PM EDT
David Murphy tested his injured groin Monday by taking batting practice, shagging some flyballs and doing some light throwing, according to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com.
“I feel good,” Murphy said. “I probably ran out there at 50 to 60 percent. I’m not going to know until I ramp it up some more.”
Murphy hasn’t played since last straining his left groin during last Wednesday’s game against the Mariners. He told Durrett that he thinks he will be good to go for the ALDS if he is at 80 to 85 percent.
The good news is that because Jeff Francoeur is expected to be in the starting lineup as the right fielder in Game 1 against left-hander David Price on Wednesday, Murphy will actually have an extra day to get ready.
The 28-year-old Murphy batted .291/.358/.449 with 12 homers and 65 RBI during the regular season, including a .298 batting average and 847 OPS against right-handers. After Wednesday, the Rangers are tentatively scheduled to face James Shields, Matt Garza and (if necessary) Wade Davis — all of them right-handers. Just one of those little things to look out for.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 0
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 43
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 22
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 111
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 30
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 106
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 82
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (111)