Oct 4, 2010, 8:42 PM EDT
David Murphy tested his injured groin Monday by taking batting practice, shagging some flyballs and doing some light throwing, according to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com.
“I feel good,” Murphy said. “I probably ran out there at 50 to 60 percent. I’m not going to know until I ramp it up some more.”
Murphy hasn’t played since last straining his left groin during last Wednesday’s game against the Mariners. He told Durrett that he thinks he will be good to go for the ALDS if he is at 80 to 85 percent.
The good news is that because Jeff Francoeur is expected to be in the starting lineup as the right fielder in Game 1 against left-hander David Price on Wednesday, Murphy will actually have an extra day to get ready.
The 28-year-old Murphy batted .291/.358/.449 with 12 homers and 65 RBI during the regular season, including a .298 batting average and 847 OPS against right-handers. After Wednesday, the Rangers are tentatively scheduled to face James Shields, Matt Garza and (if necessary) Wade Davis — all of them right-handers. Just one of those little things to look out for.
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 6
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 65
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)