David Murphy feels "good" after running at 50 to 60 percent

Oct 4, 2010, 8:42 PM EDT

David Murphy tested his injured groin Monday by taking batting practice, shagging some flyballs and doing some light throwing, according to Richard Durrett of ESPNDallas.com.

“I feel good,” Murphy said. “I probably ran out there at 50 to 60 percent. I’m not going to know until I ramp it up some more.”

Murphy hasn’t played since last straining his left groin during last Wednesday’s game against the Mariners. He told Durrett that he thinks he will be good to go for the ALDS if he is at 80 to 85 percent.

The 28-year-old Murphy batted .291/.358/.449 with 12 homers and 65 RBI during the regular season, including a .298 batting average and 847 OPS against right-handers. After Wednesday, the Rangers are tentatively scheduled to face James Shields, Matt Garza and (if necessary) Wade Davis — all of them right-handers. Just one of those little things to look out for.

1. Old Gator - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:54 AM

If I had to “test my injured gorin,” you damned well better believe that even at my age, I’d find a more interesting way to do it than running back and forth.

2. hardjuge - Oct 5, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Well, Old Gator, just how old is your groin?

3. Giant Space Ants - Oct 5, 2010 at 2:30 AM

So old apparently that they spelled it differently when he was growing up.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 5, 2010 at 8:09 AM

“The good news is that because Jeff Francoeur is expected to be in the starting lineup as the right fielder in Game 1 against left-hander David Price on Wednesday, Murphy will actually have an extra day to get ready.”
    As Craig can surely attest, this is the first time in history that the words “Good News” and “Jeff Francoeur” have been in the same sentence.

5. Joe - Oct 5, 2010 at 8:50 AM

What if the sentence also includes the words “traded away”?

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2981)