Oct 4, 2010, 3:14 PM EST
Two weeks ago, when new general manager Kevin Towers revealed that he wanted Greg Maddux to be the Diamondbacks’ pitching coach, I wrote: “Mel Stottlemyre Jr. is currently in his second season as Arizona’s pitching coach and has spent the past nine years in the organization in some capacity, so he’s probably not thrilled to hear Maddux’s name come up for his job.”
Not surprisingly, Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic reports that the Diamondbacks will fire Stottlemyre, along with hitting coach Jack Howell, third base coach Joel Youngblood, and bench coach Bo Porter.
According to Piecoro first base coach Matt Williams and Glenn Sherlock are expected to keep their jobs, and of course interim manager Kirk Gibson will be retained on a full-time basis. Gibson no doubt wants to bring in his own guys to fill out most of the coaching staff.
He once served as the bench coach for then-manager Alan Trammell in Detroit, so with Trammell expected to be let go by the Cubs he would seemingly be a fit as Arizona’s new bench coach. Maddux will reportedly remain with the Cubs. I suggest Dennis Eckersley as pitching coach, just because it would be funny to see him and Gibson work together every day.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Gibson will get a two-year deal with a team option for 2013.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)