Oct 4, 2010, 10:47 AM EST
In a move announced back in February and made official this morning, the Indians have promoted assistant general manager Chris Antonetti to GM while former GM Mark Shapiro becomes team president.
Director of baseball operations Mike Chernoff also gets a promotion to assistant GM, essentially moving into Antonetti’s old role, but Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that “he’ll continue to oversee professional scouting and baseball analytics” along with assisting “in player acquisition, contract negotiations, and day-to-day operations.”
Shapiro replaced John Hart as the Indians general manager in 2001 and faced the difficult task of breaking up a veteran-laden team that had dominated the AL Central while making the playoffs in six of the previous seven seasons.
Shapiro’s rebuilding effort went well initially, as the Indians followed three straight losing seasons with 93 wins in 2005 and then 95 wins and a trip to the ALCS in 2007, but things quickly fell apart after that and now Cleveland is once again in rebuilding mode after losing 97 and 93 games in the past two years.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 8
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 30
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 92
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 44
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (100)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)