Oct 4, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
In a move announced back in February and made official this morning, the Indians have promoted assistant general manager Chris Antonetti to GM while former GM Mark Shapiro becomes team president.
Director of baseball operations Mike Chernoff also gets a promotion to assistant GM, essentially moving into Antonetti’s old role, but Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that “he’ll continue to oversee professional scouting and baseball analytics” along with assisting “in player acquisition, contract negotiations, and day-to-day operations.”
Shapiro replaced John Hart as the Indians general manager in 2001 and faced the difficult task of breaking up a veteran-laden team that had dominated the AL Central while making the playoffs in six of the previous seven seasons.
Shapiro’s rebuilding effort went well initially, as the Indians followed three straight losing seasons with 93 wins in 2005 and then 95 wins and a trip to the ALCS in 2007, but things quickly fell apart after that and now Cleveland is once again in rebuilding mode after losing 97 and 93 games in the past two years.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)