Oct 4, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
In a move announced back in February and made official this morning, the Indians have promoted assistant general manager Chris Antonetti to GM while former GM Mark Shapiro becomes team president.
Director of baseball operations Mike Chernoff also gets a promotion to assistant GM, essentially moving into Antonetti’s old role, but Anthony Castrovince of MLB.com reports that “he’ll continue to oversee professional scouting and baseball analytics” along with assisting “in player acquisition, contract negotiations, and day-to-day operations.”
Shapiro replaced John Hart as the Indians general manager in 2001 and faced the difficult task of breaking up a veteran-laden team that had dominated the AL Central while making the playoffs in six of the previous seven seasons.
Shapiro’s rebuilding effort went well initially, as the Indians followed three straight losing seasons with 93 wins in 2005 and then 95 wins and a trip to the ALCS in 2007, but things quickly fell apart after that and now Cleveland is once again in rebuilding mode after losing 97 and 93 games in the past two years.
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 26
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 117
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- This team. 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (117)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)