It's finally official: Manuel and Minaya are gone

Oct 4, 2010, 11:57 AM EST

The Mets just issued a press release saying that Jerry Manuel and Omar Minaya have been “relieved of their duties.” This follows their morning release about the sun rising and anticipates their evening release about darkness falling. As soon as it came out a dozen fedora-wearing reporters rushed to pay phones to call in their scoop, they were so surprised.

Jon Heyman just tweeted that Minaya is being retained by the Mets to do . . . something.  I’ve argued that such a thing wouldn’t be the worst idea on the planet and that the Mets, not wanting to pay Omar to do nothing (he’s under contract next year) may want to keep him around.  Looking at it differently, however, there’s just way too much of a chance that his mere presence makes life difficult for his successor at GM. Well, more difficult than it will already be what with having to answer to Jeff Wilpon. I could see that part of things ending poorly.

Manuel, of course, is really gone.  I’m having a hard time shedding a tear for him.  He played a big part in Willie Randolph getting ousted a couple of years ago, allegedly serving as a conduit of player complaints about Randolph to the front office. Whether or not that was really a problem, he never showed any indication that he could inspire the Mets to do anything special, and he has certainly lost the confidence of the press, the fans talk radio and all of the usual constituencies that make managing in New York unique.

The Mets now embark on their quest to find a general manager who is savvy enough to fix the many things wrong with this team but desperate enough to where he’ll willingly subject himself to Jeff Wilpons’ caprice and the seeming mandate from ownership that you can’t rebuild in New York.  I don’t know who fits that description.  It may not matter unless ownership, in addition to changing managers and the GM, changes the way they’ve been doing things for the past several years.

1. BC - Oct 4, 2010 at 12:05 PM

2. BC - Oct 4, 2010 at 12:06 PM

JP Riccardi and Bobby V. Do it guys, do it!!!!

3. john pileggi - Oct 4, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Bobby V. for Team President and Backman as Manager. It sure would be interesting around the Mets if they did that.

4. V... - Oct 4, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Willie deserves to manage them… he earned it, and then was disrespectfully robbed of his chance.

5. Jonny5 - Oct 4, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Are there Parades to rival a world series win happening in NY today? Omar might want to change his zip code asap. just a thought….

6. John_Michael - Oct 4, 2010 at 12:51 PM

John Heyman’s tweets are bursting with, paraphrasing: ‘I’ve got nothing but good things to say about them’ and ‘they’re going to do great wherever they end up’ type of things.

7. YANKEES1996 - Oct 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM

It has been a looooooong time coming and now that it is official, to all Mets fans congratulations and you can now look to a better future. All the teams that are going to be looking for a General Manager hold your breath, Omar is on the open market, you lucky devils.

8. Travis W - Oct 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM

Please “steal” Jim Hendry from the Cubs, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! I’ll love you forever if you do, Mets.

9. -z- - Oct 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM

The only person who did anything concrete to help Mets fans was Bernie Madoff – He just didn’t get to finish the job.

10. savoir laire - Oct 4, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Free at last, free at last, thank god almighty these shmucks are fired…the losing may not be over, but the frustration with these two boneheads is finally ended. Really, has there ever been a worse GM than Minaya? How much money pissed away on Beltran, Perez, Bay, Putz, K-Rod, etc.? I really thought for a while there that he was a double agent for the Steinbrenners, but then I realized that they’re not that smart. Apparently smarter than the Mets, though!

11. ProfessorEmmitt - Oct 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I for one will miss the “Los Mess” era……The lack of accountability was a hallmark for these two boneheads, and one more thing “Los Mess” fans, the Fightins OWN……..OWN the National League East. Do Mets fans actually look forward to pitchers and catchers reporting?…..If so…Why?

12. Old Gator - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Well Craig, I spent the whole day giving a deposition…in a legal malpractice suit, no less…and it was so boring that here I am at half past midnight and I’m still bored. I feel like I was locked in a closet with my eyelids pried open while a drip feed drizzled artificial tears over my corneas and was forced to watch a curling championship over and over and over.
    But what of that. The main thing is, my friend BC is happier than he’s been in years, and he should know that when I get to San Francisco later this week APBA Guy and I will make a point of raising a stein to his felicities.
    The second main thing is, good riddance to that backstabbing slimebag Jerry Manuel. He Lady Macbethed Willie Randolph, a guy whose jockstrap he isn’t fit to hand wash. Aside from mere oblivion, about the only other retribution that was good enough for him, he’s already endured – managing the Mutts.

13. Cincy Sam - Oct 5, 2010 at 10:00 AM

How about LaRussa? I think he is free.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5071)