Oct 4, 2010, 9:23 AM EDT
Most of the baseball world is on airplanes today with players, coaches, writers and everyone else flying home or to playoff cities or beaches or duck blinds or wherever it is they spend their offseason. The exception: top brass who will be meeting for several teams to discuss the fates of their managers.
One specifically will be the Cardinals, who, according to the Post-Dispatch — are expected to meet this morning about the fate of manager Tony La Russa. It’s expected that the ultimate decision on whether he comes back will be his, but since it’s La Russa and since he’s difficult, he’s likely to bring up all kinds of conditions and quirks and stuff in order to return, and the bosses probably need to be ready.
Two men who don’t have their fate in their hands are Jerry Manuel and Ken Macha, each of whom could be given the axe by the time your coffee pot is empty. John Russell too. The upshot here is that Major League Baseball hates teams to make managerial moves while the playoffs are going on, so that leaves today and tomorrow for those teams to drop the axe.
And of course, HBT will be here, dancing on the graves of the departed as soon as it happens.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)