Oct 4, 2010, 9:23 AM EDT
Most of the baseball world is on airplanes today with players, coaches, writers and everyone else flying home or to playoff cities or beaches or duck blinds or wherever it is they spend their offseason. The exception: top brass who will be meeting for several teams to discuss the fates of their managers.
One specifically will be the Cardinals, who, according to the Post-Dispatch — are expected to meet this morning about the fate of manager Tony La Russa. It’s expected that the ultimate decision on whether he comes back will be his, but since it’s La Russa and since he’s difficult, he’s likely to bring up all kinds of conditions and quirks and stuff in order to return, and the bosses probably need to be ready.
Two men who don’t have their fate in their hands are Jerry Manuel and Ken Macha, each of whom could be given the axe by the time your coffee pot is empty. John Russell too. The upshot here is that Major League Baseball hates teams to make managerial moves while the playoffs are going on, so that leaves today and tomorrow for those teams to drop the axe.
And of course, HBT will be here, dancing on the graves of the departed as soon as it happens.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)