It's moving day for managers

Oct 4, 2010, 9:23 AM EST

Most of the baseball world is on airplanes today with players, coaches, writers and everyone else flying home or to playoff cities or beaches or duck blinds or wherever it is they spend their offseason.  The exception: top brass who will be meeting for several teams to discuss the fates of their managers.

One specifically will be the Cardinals, who, according to the Post-Dispatch — are expected to meet this morning about the fate of manager Tony La Russa.  It’s expected that the ultimate decision on whether he comes back will be his, but since it’s La Russa and since he’s difficult, he’s likely to bring up all kinds of conditions and quirks and stuff in order to return, and the bosses probably need to be ready.

Two men who don’t have their fate in their hands are Jerry Manuel and Ken Macha, each of whom could be given the axe by the time your coffee pot is empty. John Russell too. The upshot here is that Major League Baseball hates teams to make managerial moves while the playoffs are going on, so that leaves today and tomorrow for those teams to drop the axe.

And of course, HBT will be here, dancing on the graves of the departed as soon as it happens.

1. BC - Oct 4, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Maybe the Wilpons will fire themselves?

2. Jonny5 - Oct 4, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Wht can’t i like Tony LaRussa? is it me? His team is a huge bunch of underachievers imo. And yes, he is a big poopy pants.

3. geoknows - Oct 4, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I don’t need to wait to empty a pot of coffee for Macha’s axing; it was reported before I went to bed last night.

4. Paper Lions - Oct 4, 2010 at 10:28 AM

LaRussa makes it nearly impossible to like him. You can respect him, I guess, but it really is very hard to like the man. To me, he animal rescue foundation is his only saving grace. As a life long Cardinal fan, I’ve never liked LaRussa. There have been times that I was glad he was their manager, but those times ended in 2004 when a dominant team collapsed again. He is the elephant in the clubhouse, his teams play with no joy, spark, fire…anything. His approach to young players is smothering to the point that you can see them approach ABs as if they are chances for failure instead of opportunities for success.
    I hope he’s gone; if not, I’ll much less excited about 2011 than I would be otherwise.

5. dlf - Oct 4, 2010 at 10:36 AM

He’s a lawyer. Who likes lawyers? Especially those in the flyover states like Missouri … or Ohio.

6. The Steve Jeltz Experiment - Oct 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Hey, Craig resembles that mark. So do I… well, except for the flyover states part. But I feel the need to stand up for my profession. If LaRussa’s a jerk, it’s because he’s naturally a jerk — I’m guessing those attributes predated law school.
    To be truthful, while LaRussa’s personality is grating, I appreciate the guy’s willingness to try new things, even if many of them annoy me.

7. YANKEES1996 - Oct 4, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Dreamer!

8. BC - Oct 4, 2010 at 11:16 AM

LaRussa is baseball’s answer to Bill Belicheck.

9. easports82 - Oct 4, 2010 at 11:44 AM

Wait for the playoffs to end? Can’t they pull a page from the Boras/Rodriguez playbook and make some news around Game 4 of the World Series?

10. john pileggi - Oct 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Manuel is a class act with a great deal of dignity. Not many would have survived the debacles of the past 3 years with as much grace and humor as Jerry has. The Mets have alson relieved another good guy, Omar Minaya, of his duties this morning, and I wish him good fortune as well. Perhaps Bobby Valentine will be back. Or give Davey Johnson a last hurrah.

11. Jonny5 - Oct 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I thought that with the guys on that team, the Cards have no excuse for not making the playoffs. My conclusion is they would be better off without LaRussa. He is the guy who kept one of their better batters riding the pine for personal issues between those two. And he’s always got poopy pants. Which is catchy. I’m just glad to see Puljos hasn’t fallen to this syndrome yet.

12. Cincy Sam - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:26 PM

It is too bad that people act as they do at times. Is it more important to win games, or to be a nice guy. Remember Leo the lip said “nice guys finish last”. Leo was not a nice guy, and he was a winner. Personally, I hope LaRussa get the axe, because we will stop worrying about the birds in Cinti. We will have a clear path to the division if he is gone. Regardless of how good Sir Albert is, without TLR, the Cardinals are just another team. However, all of the MLB “experts” out there don’t like him. I wish we could trade him for Dusty.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester