Jeff Wilpon: Omar Minaya had full autonomy

Oct 4, 2010, 1:59 PM EST

As I type this, Fred and Jeff Wilpon are giving a press conference regarding the firings of Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel. There have been some high points. Fred Wilpon acknowledging that the Mets haven’t won enough and, for the first time I can recall, speaking passionately about the team and saying that it means a lot of him and his family.

This one didn’t ring true, though: Jeff Wilpon, when asked if the next Mets’ GM will have full autonomy to make personnel decisions:

“The old general manager had that.”

Fred Wilpon added that Omar Minaya’s lack of autonomy is “a perception that’s out there, and it’s an incorrect perception.”

I guess the reason that perception is out there is that there have been countless reports by well-connected reporters saying otherwiseThis perception isn’t helped by Fred Wilpon going on to admit that he and Jeff “don’t know how to pick ballplayers,: and that “there
isn’t one major decision that hasn’t been made at the Mets that hasn’t
been made with the three of us,” referring, I presume to both of the Wilpons and Minaya.

If the owner and the team president are in on every major personnel decision with the GM, how on Earth does the GM have autonomy?

1. ippississiM - Oct 4, 2010 at 2:11 PM

Well, in their defense, he was probably allowed to pick his own breakfast cereal. In the off-season.

2. geoknows - Oct 4, 2010 at 2:17 PM

Minaya clearly had full autonomy…to do exactly what the Wilpons said.

3. Buccofan - Oct 4, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Because it’s their team and they say so, therefore it is so. How dare mere mortals ask such questions?

4. EShine - Oct 4, 2010 at 2:24 PM

Its like when my wife says that “we can do whatever you want for (weekend, dinner, paint color, whatever)…” only to give a half-hearted “ok” when I pick something she doesnt like.
    The Wilpons are a joke.

5. Jonny5 - Oct 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Dude, i’m putting porcelain tile in my Kitchen, foyer, and powder room. Plus there’s a whole bunch of painting and whatnot. All i have to say is you should be very happy your loving wife only uses a half hearted “OK” to show her displeasure. The best I can wish for is a half hearted screaming fit with a half hearted Karate chop to the adams apple. Kiss your wife when you get home.

6. Cantankerous - Oct 4, 2010 at 3:00 PM

It seemed to me that Wilpon’s definition of autonomy for the GM is the GM asking to make a move and ownership giving the go ahead for financial reasons. Even if that is the case, the GM is clearly going to be budget conscious as he makes decisions which kind of kills the autonomy thing.

7. YANKEES1996 - Oct 4, 2010 at 3:20 PM

If Omar actually did have “full autonomy” according to Jeff Wilpon that only leaves me with one very stupid question, WHY?

8. Utley's hair - Oct 4, 2010 at 3:26 PM

There are those of us who get a “half-hearted OK,” and there are those of us who get a “no, I don’t wanna do/go that/there, so we’ll do/go this/here.” Just be glad we get the illusion of having any choice in any matter.

9. Utley's hair - Oct 4, 2010 at 3:27 PM

In the Wilpons’ defense, the “old manager” was not specified to be Minaya.

10. prestige worldwide - Oct 4, 2010 at 7:10 PM

I hate to defend him but I believe wilpon was referring to himself, Jeff & Saul Katz(the third member of the ownership group)

11. Old Gator - Oct 5, 2010 at 1:16 AM

I wish I could remember how much autonomy I had under my ex-wife (my current one, being European, is not some pushy demanding opinionated selfish spoiled rotten rich Long Island brat who never grew up as was the case with someone who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent – me, I mean). Ergo, current wife has never made me lay a tile in my entire life. She does it and I mix her an occasional pina colada while she works. Then, if it’s a warm sultry Macondo afternoon, she puts aside the trowel and grout and goes out and cuts down a palm frond and fans me while she feeds me champagne grapes as I swing in my hammock by the pool reading the recently reissued book of Deadbone Mountain cartoons of Vaughn Bode. If I doze off, she runs inside and whips me up a bouilliabaise provencale with just enough saffron on a bed of seasoned Tibetan red rice, and finishes up the tiling – in which case, she keeps an ear pealed for the staccato apnea snort that means I might be waking up, and is standing beside the hammock with a freshly made mint julep for me when I open my eyes.
    My only problem is, my Stepford Corporation home warranty expires next year, and the extended warranty programs I have looked at are horrifically expensive unless they’re the kind where they send you the empty styrofoam shipping sarcophagus and you have to pack it and ship it back to the factory and pay the postage yourself – both ways. And they don’t send you a “loaner,” either – not even an inflatable vinyl one.
    Customer service in this country has gone to shit.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4432)