Mike Redmond is retiring

Oct 4, 2010, 5:00 PM EST

Longtime backup catcher Mike Redmond retired today. He said “I fulfilled every
goal I had as a player.” For his career he ends up with a line of .287/.342/.358. He’ll almost certainly move on to coaching and may very well be a manager one day.

And if it was most every other backup catcher in baseball history, I wouldn’t have bothered to post anything. But Redmond has always stuck out to me. Why? Because he somehow hit .438/.471/.604 against Tom Glavine in his career, and I never understood how a dude like that can own a guy like Glavine so thoroughly.

As it was happening I hated it, because for a while there a series against the Marlins meant seeing Redmond beat up one of my favorite players. But with a little distance, I appreciate it as one of those wonderful things about the game.

1. The Common Man - Oct 4, 2010 at 5:12 PM

I will always associate Mike Redmond with Naked Batting Practice in the Metrodome. And I’m not sure I’m sorry about that.

2. ThatGuy - Oct 4, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I bet he ends up as a Twins minor league coach, he was well liked his years in Minnesota.

3. Son of Shane Mack - Oct 5, 2010 at 1:12 AM

The Twins need a third base coach that isn’t named Scotty and isn’t incompetent. Mike – Naked Batting Practice – Redmond is just the guy.

4. Joe - Oct 5, 2010 at 8:45 AM

Redmond was inducted into the Portland Sea Dogs Hall of Fame this summer. He’s a guy who was on the verge of quitting and becoming a coach in the late 90’s, went back to AA, got his swing (such as it was) and was ready to go to Miami when the Marlins purged the roster in 1998. The rest, as they say, is history.

5. dbrill - Oct 5, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Redmond was a career .325/.380/.422/.802 hitter versus lefties. That and a relatively small sample size against Glavine probably explains it all.
    By the way, Redmond was the ideal backup catcher for Minnesota. The Twins could rest Mauer against a lefty and still wind up with an .802 OPS out of the catcher slot.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3242)
  2. J. Kang (3099)
  3. C. McGehee (2810)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2788)
  5. J. Upton (2776)