Oct 4, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
Oliver Perez ended his disastrous season on a fitting note yesterday, coming into a 1-1 game in the 14th inning, striking out the first batter he faced, hitting the second batter he faced, and then handing out three straight walks, the last of which forced in the game-winning run with the bases loaded.
Now, in fairness to Perez it was literally his first appearance in four weeks and he pitched in just three of the Mets’ final 57 games. And in fairness to the Mets, he finished the season 0-5 with a 6.80 ERA and more walks (42) than strikeouts (37) in 46 innings.
Perez told reporters afterward that he plans to pitch winter ball in Mexico and wants to return to the Mets:
I do want to come back here. I need to prove to the people that I can be the pitcher I was before. They boo because I’m not pitching good. When you don’t do the job, that’s what they’re going to do.
Obviously the Mets would love to part with Perez, but they owe him $12 million for next season and he’s been so bad that simply eating a big chunk of that salary probably won’t convince another team to take him off their hands. They may have to eat basically the entire $12 million. And it might be worth it.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)