Oct 4, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
So, how much is Derek Jeter worth as a free agent? A former general manager, speaking to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, opines thusly:
“Twelve million dollars over two years, maybe $10 million over two. But I think he’ll probably get a lot more than that . . . It is not a rational contract. He is Derek Jeter.”
The assumption in that quote is that he’d get more than that from the Yankees. And that’s true, because, well, they’re just going to pay him a lot and suck it up for a number of reasons.
But isn’t he worth more than $10-12 million over two years to other teams as well? I’m not saying what his production, in a vacuum, is worth. I mean, wouldn’t other teams pay him a premium over and above his objective value due to the mystique and aura and marketing and all of that too? I don’t think he’d go anywhere else, but I could easily see someone giving him twice that, just to have Derek Jeter in their uniform. Hoping, of course, that he returns to something approaching 2009 form, but willing to deal with it if he doesn’t.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)