Oct 4, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
So, how much is Derek Jeter worth as a free agent? A former general manager, speaking to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, opines thusly:
“Twelve million dollars over two years, maybe $10 million over two. But I think he’ll probably get a lot more than that . . . It is not a rational contract. He is Derek Jeter.”
The assumption in that quote is that he’d get more than that from the Yankees. And that’s true, because, well, they’re just going to pay him a lot and suck it up for a number of reasons.
But isn’t he worth more than $10-12 million over two years to other teams as well? I’m not saying what his production, in a vacuum, is worth. I mean, wouldn’t other teams pay him a premium over and above his objective value due to the mystique and aura and marketing and all of that too? I don’t think he’d go anywhere else, but I could easily see someone giving him twice that, just to have Derek Jeter in their uniform. Hoping, of course, that he returns to something approaching 2009 form, but willing to deal with it if he doesn’t.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)