Oct 4, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
So, how much is Derek Jeter worth as a free agent? A former general manager, speaking to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, opines thusly:
“Twelve million dollars over two years, maybe $10 million over two. But I think he’ll probably get a lot more than that . . . It is not a rational contract. He is Derek Jeter.”
The assumption in that quote is that he’d get more than that from the Yankees. And that’s true, because, well, they’re just going to pay him a lot and suck it up for a number of reasons.
But isn’t he worth more than $10-12 million over two years to other teams as well? I’m not saying what his production, in a vacuum, is worth. I mean, wouldn’t other teams pay him a premium over and above his objective value due to the mystique and aura and marketing and all of that too? I don’t think he’d go anywhere else, but I could easily see someone giving him twice that, just to have Derek Jeter in their uniform. Hoping, of course, that he returns to something approaching 2009 form, but willing to deal with it if he doesn’t.
- No-hitter watch: Aaron Harang has no-hit the Mets through seven innings 0
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Yasiel Puig does all of the Yasiel Puig things in the same inning 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)