Oct 4, 2010, 4:30 PM EDT
So, how much is Derek Jeter worth as a free agent? A former general manager, speaking to Andrew Marchand of ESPN New York, opines thusly:
“Twelve million dollars over two years, maybe $10 million over two. But I think he’ll probably get a lot more than that . . . It is not a rational contract. He is Derek Jeter.”
The assumption in that quote is that he’d get more than that from the Yankees. And that’s true, because, well, they’re just going to pay him a lot and suck it up for a number of reasons.
But isn’t he worth more than $10-12 million over two years to other teams as well? I’m not saying what his production, in a vacuum, is worth. I mean, wouldn’t other teams pay him a premium over and above his objective value due to the mystique and aura and marketing and all of that too? I don’t think he’d go anywhere else, but I could easily see someone giving him twice that, just to have Derek Jeter in their uniform. Hoping, of course, that he returns to something approaching 2009 form, but willing to deal with it if he doesn’t.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20