Oct 4, 2010, 11:27 AM EDT
With not a whole lot going on today, I figured now would be as good a time as any to see how my preseason predictions turned out. The verdict: not as bad as it could have been, but about as random as you might expect. Here’s what I had, with the team-links going to the full-blown team previews (* is the wild card):
AL East: Yankees, Rays,* Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays
AL Central: Twins, Tigers, White Sox, Royals, Indians
AL West: Angels, Rangers, Mariners, Athletics
NL East: Braves, Phillies,* Marlins, Mets, Nationals
NL Central: Cardinals, Reds, Brewers, Cubs, Astros, Pirates
NL West: Rockies, Dodgers, Giants, Diamondbacks, Padres
AL MVP: Kendry Morales
NL MVP: Troy
AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay
AL Rookie of the Year:
NL Rookie of the Year: Jason Heyward
AL Manager of the Year:
NL Manager of the Year: Bobby Cox
Among the most laughable things was having the Padres in last place, having Kendry Morales as the MVP and having the Angels winning the west. The Padres came out of nowhere, so if anyone had them in first place back in April they were living in fantasyland. If Morales doesn’t get hurt that Angels prediction is less laughable, but no, his presence alone would not have saved the season. The Rockies and Braves were my bold choices. Neither panned out perfectly, though I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority in thinking that Atlanta would make the playoffs. If Colorado had figured it out Tulowitzki had a good shot at the MVP, but alas it will not be.
Sabathia and Halladay were pretty obvious but pretty good preseason choices for Cy Young. Halladay will get it, I’m almost certain. When people have asked me lately I’ve given the pessimistic “Sabathia will win it” answer for the AL, but now that I think about it a bit more, I wonder if the tide (or the hysteria) has turned and Felix Hernandez won’t get it after all. If not, my preseason comments about the writers not wanting to give it to a low win-total guy for the second straight year will have been somewhat prescient.
Heyward and Jackson as rookies of the year are defensible, but I’m guessing that I successfully predicted second place in each league rather than the winner. Picking the manager of the year is a toughie. Maddon and Cox weren’t nuts, but neither will get it. If the Padres and Rangers hadn’t played so well this year maybe Maddon and Cox would have gotten it.
I still think predictions are a sucker’s game, yet I still do them because they’re fun. So much so that I’ll certainly try to predict the postseason here in the next 48 hours. I wonder how wrong I’ll be about that?
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)