Oct 4, 2010, 11:27 AM EST
With not a whole lot going on today, I figured now would be as good a time as any to see how my preseason predictions turned out. The verdict: not as bad as it could have been, but about as random as you might expect. Here’s what I had, with the team-links going to the full-blown team previews (* is the wild card):
AL East: Yankees, Rays,* Red Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays
AL Central: Twins, Tigers, White Sox, Royals, Indians
AL West: Angels, Rangers, Mariners, Athletics
NL East: Braves, Phillies,* Marlins, Mets, Nationals
NL Central: Cardinals, Reds, Brewers, Cubs, Astros, Pirates
NL West: Rockies, Dodgers, Giants, Diamondbacks, Padres
AL MVP: Kendry Morales
NL MVP: Troy
AL Cy Young: CC Sabathia
NL Cy Young: Roy Halladay
AL Rookie of the Year:
NL Rookie of the Year: Jason Heyward
AL Manager of the Year:
NL Manager of the Year: Bobby Cox
Among the most laughable things was having the Padres in last place, having Kendry Morales as the MVP and having the Angels winning the west. The Padres came out of nowhere, so if anyone had them in first place back in April they were living in fantasyland. If Morales doesn’t get hurt that Angels prediction is less laughable, but no, his presence alone would not have saved the season. The Rockies and Braves were my bold choices. Neither panned out perfectly, though I’m pretty sure I’m in the minority in thinking that Atlanta would make the playoffs. If Colorado had figured it out Tulowitzki had a good shot at the MVP, but alas it will not be.
Sabathia and Halladay were pretty obvious but pretty good preseason choices for Cy Young. Halladay will get it, I’m almost certain. When people have asked me lately I’ve given the pessimistic “Sabathia will win it” answer for the AL, but now that I think about it a bit more, I wonder if the tide (or the hysteria) has turned and Felix Hernandez won’t get it after all. If not, my preseason comments about the writers not wanting to give it to a low win-total guy for the second straight year will have been somewhat prescient.
Heyward and Jackson as rookies of the year are defensible, but I’m guessing that I successfully predicted second place in each league rather than the winner. Picking the manager of the year is a toughie. Maddon and Cox weren’t nuts, but neither will get it. If the Padres and Rangers hadn’t played so well this year maybe Maddon and Cox would have gotten it.
I still think predictions are a sucker’s game, yet I still do them because they’re fun. So much so that I’ll certainly try to predict the postseason here in the next 48 hours. I wonder how wrong I’ll be about that?
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 33
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)