Oct 4, 2010, 1:45 PM EST
Two weeks ago Ron Gardenhire replied “I don’t see how it can possibly happen” when asked if Justin Morneau could return from a July 7 concussion to play in the postseason, but then last week Morneau had a handful of symptom-free days and expressed optimism about potentially joining the Twins for the ALCS if they advanced that far.
Unfortunately those plans were squashed today, as the Twins announced that Morneau has been shut down until 2011 and will not be an option in the playoffs regardless of how far they advance.
Morneau has been sidelined for three months, so getting him back at any point was always a longshot, and the Twins insist that the decision to officially shut him down is not due to a setback of any kind. However, Morneau did say that “the symptoms ended up coming back more than what was OK to try to push through” after going through various workouts last week.
As nice as it would have been to have him available as a part-time starter or even a bench bat, getting him right for 2011 and beyond is clearly the priority.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (243)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)