Oct 5, 2010, 8:22 AM EDT
With no games on last night I spent most of the evening screwin’ around on the Internet, trying to start fights on message boards and that sort of thing. In the course of my virtual travels, I spoke (more or less) with fans of every playoff team. Based on these conversations, I’ve figured something out:
Fans of every playoff team think that their team sucks. Except for the Phillies, whose fans think they’ve already won the World Series.
It’s pretty uniform, actually. Even Yankees fans, who don’t lack for confidence, are hyper-aware of their team’s flaws at the moment, so much so that they’re bordering on pessimism. Well, that may be putting it too strongly, but the bravado you’ve heard for years from these guys has been infused with an unusually clear-eyed assessment of their team’s strengths and weaknesses.
Same goes for every team, really. For a rare year in which every playoff team is above 90 wins, there just seems to be a lot more pessimism — or is it just realism? — than we’re used to seeing as the playoffs get going.
Except, like I said, for the Phillies crowd. They seem to spending most of their time wondering why everyone isn’t congratulating them for their awesomeness yet.
We’ll be previewing the playoffs later today and into tomorrow. We’ll likely end up agreeing that the Phillies are awesome, but really, this year has more uncertainty to it than any year in recent memory. And that’s a wonderful thing, no?
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 33
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 47
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 23
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (163)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)