Deep Thought: How the fans of playoff teams feel at the moment

Oct 5, 2010, 8:22 AM EDT

With no games on last night I spent most of the evening screwin’ around on the Internet, trying to start fights on message boards and that sort of thing.  In the course of my virtual travels, I spoke (more or less) with fans of every playoff team.  Based on these conversations, I’ve figured something out:

Fans of every playoff team think that their team sucks. Except for the Phillies, whose fans think they’ve already won the World Series.

It’s pretty uniform, actually. Even Yankees fans, who don’t lack for confidence, are hyper-aware of their team’s flaws at the moment, so much so that they’re bordering on pessimism. Well, that may be putting it too strongly, but the bravado you’ve heard for years from these guys has been infused with an unusually clear-eyed assessment of their team’s strengths and weaknesses.

Same goes for every team, really. For a rare year in which every playoff team is above 90 wins, there just seems to be a lot more pessimism — or is it just realism? — than we’re used to seeing as the playoffs get going.

Except, like I said, for the Phillies crowd. They seem to spending most of their time wondering why everyone isn’t congratulating them for their awesomeness yet.

We’ll be previewing the playoffs later today and into tomorrow. We’ll likely end up agreeing that the Phillies are awesome, but really, this year has more uncertainty to it than any year in recent memory. And that’s a wonderful thing, no?

1. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Eleven in a row, Moses.

2. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:28 AM

My condolences

3. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:33 AM

As good as Hollywood was in the second half, he was that inconsistent in the first and last season, so I don’t think we can just take it for granted.
    Oh, crap. Craig’s been ripping on us unmercifully for being insecue, and now he’s baiting us with his overconfidence assertions. Craig, you are a bad, bad, bad man…but we’ll keep you around, because of Tiffany.

4. CriticalCynic - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I usually only lurk here, but your overconfidence is your greatest weakness:
    Giants have THREE lefty starters they could use against the Phillies in an NLCS matchup: Sanchez, Zito, and Bumgarner. Likely one of Zito or Bumgarner will be in the bullpen though, since Cain and Lincecum have been good against the Phillies, not been hit as you suggested, only Howard (.367) and Werth (.333) had success against Lincecum and only Rollins (.600) and Utley (.467) had success against Cain.
    Last three years, Lincecum/Cain vs Phillies:
    Lincecum
    8.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 11 K
    7.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 11 K
    8.0 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 8 K
    8.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K
    6.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K
    5 games, 37.1 IP, 1.44 ERA, 0.804 WHIP, 10.37 K/9
    Cain
    6.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
    7.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 8 K
    2 games, 13 IP, 2.77 ERA, 0.923 WHIP, 8.31 K/9
    Small sample size for Cain, obviously, but those are still solid numbers, and Lincecum kinda dominates the Phillies, so don’t go counting pennants just yet…

5. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Just look at the Phightins game times the last three years. The Yankers and the BooSux (hmmm…Epstein…Cashman…maybe Rick Sanchez had a point about the media…) had all the prime game times. This is the first time The Phils have even sniffed primetime in the early going.

6. Ari Collins - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Not even getting into any kind of argument about race and bigotry, but: I’m pretty sure that the General Manager of a baseball team is not a member of the media.

7. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM

(That was me being sarcastic…)

8. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I’ve noticed a bit more confidence, but not a whole lot. The overconfidence of which Craig speaks is just a defense mechanism employed to overshadow the deep down insecurity that Craig says we all suffer from. Isn’t that right, Craig? I really don’t want to get your insinuations wrong…I would feel really bad if I did that. :(

9. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Okay…set the coffee/red bull/monster amp/5-hour-energy concoction down gently and step away sloooooowly…everything will be okay if you just do that….

10. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Get past the Braves then come and see me with your Giants knowledge…

11. dprat - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:32 PM

Nice, Fiorentino, when you are called-out on yet another of your fact-free assertions, you reply with a somewhat more polite version of “STFU.” Okay. As a service to all readers of this blog, could you start each of your posts with, “I didn’t actually bother to take 12 seconds to look it up on this darn internet thingy, but my completely unsolicited, uninformed, and unfounded opinion is…”?
    Meh, don’t bother. Any of us who have been reading for a while subconsciously already attach that preamble to your posts.
    - still bitter with the world Padres fan

12. Ari Collins - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Sarcasm on the internet ftl.

13. Tony A - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Speaking as a Reds’ fan, I’m glad they made it, but I’m certainly not holding my breath in anticipation of further success…

14. mustbechris - Oct 5, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Someone’s a bitter Braves fan. Maybe it’s not pessimism, but realism. On the part of every team’s fans, obviously including the Phillies’.

Three legends off to Cooperstown