Oct 5, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
I view the Pirates’ managerial job the same way I used to view getting hired by a criminal defendant after his trial but before his appeal: it’s nothing that’s going to end well, but really, how bad would I have to be to truly screw this up? Enter Eric Wedge, who Jenifer Langosch reports was interviewed by the Pirates for the job left vacant by John Russell’s departure.
Wedge would be a perfectly fine choice for the Pirates. He has experience taking over a young team and helping them through the growing pains. Say what you want about some of those Indians teams, but the kids generally liked Wedge and the ship stayed level. The real problems came up when people, you know, actually expected something out of the Indians. Wedge was not good in that situation, but it’s a situation that the Pirates won’t be facing for some time.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)