Oct 5, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
I view the Pirates’ managerial job the same way I used to view getting hired by a criminal defendant after his trial but before his appeal: it’s nothing that’s going to end well, but really, how bad would I have to be to truly screw this up? Enter Eric Wedge, who Jenifer Langosch reports was interviewed by the Pirates for the job left vacant by John Russell’s departure.
Wedge would be a perfectly fine choice for the Pirates. He has experience taking over a young team and helping them through the growing pains. Say what you want about some of those Indians teams, but the kids generally liked Wedge and the ship stayed level. The real problems came up when people, you know, actually expected something out of the Indians. Wedge was not good in that situation, but it’s a situation that the Pirates won’t be facing for some time.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)