Oct 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
This is why I don’t listen to talk radio.
A woman called into a sports radio show down in Tampa and opined that the Rays chose to go with James Shields in Game 2 of the ALDS “because he is a Jewish person.” The caller — Linda, who claimed to be a Quaker “and has many Jewish friends” — thinks that “he’s not a very good pitcher” and that Joe Maddon felt pressure from the team’s “Jewish ownership” to start Shields over Matt Garza.
The hosts rightfully mock her — “then why isn’t Gabe Kapler starting?” — but it could have been better. For example: I wish someone would have asked her if Shield’s home/road splits and gopherball tendencies are a Zionist plot. Maybe we all would have learned something, ya know?
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)