Oct 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
This is why I don’t listen to talk radio.
A woman called into a sports radio show down in Tampa and opined that the Rays chose to go with James Shields in Game 2 of the ALDS “because he is a Jewish person.” The caller — Linda, who claimed to be a Quaker “and has many Jewish friends” — thinks that “he’s not a very good pitcher” and that Joe Maddon felt pressure from the team’s “Jewish ownership” to start Shields over Matt Garza.
The hosts rightfully mock her — “then why isn’t Gabe Kapler starting?” — but it could have been better. For example: I wish someone would have asked her if Shield’s home/road splits and gopherball tendencies are a Zionist plot. Maybe we all would have learned something, ya know?
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)