Oct 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
This is why I don’t listen to talk radio.
A woman called into a sports radio show down in Tampa and opined that the Rays chose to go with James Shields in Game 2 of the ALDS “because he is a Jewish person.” The caller — Linda, who claimed to be a Quaker “and has many Jewish friends” — thinks that “he’s not a very good pitcher” and that Joe Maddon felt pressure from the team’s “Jewish ownership” to start Shields over Matt Garza.
The hosts rightfully mock her — “then why isn’t Gabe Kapler starting?” — but it could have been better. For example: I wish someone would have asked her if Shield’s home/road splits and gopherball tendencies are a Zionist plot. Maybe we all would have learned something, ya know?
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)