Oct 5, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
This is why I don’t listen to talk radio.
A woman called into a sports radio show down in Tampa and opined that the Rays chose to go with James Shields in Game 2 of the ALDS “because he is a Jewish person.” The caller — Linda, who claimed to be a Quaker “and has many Jewish friends” — thinks that “he’s not a very good pitcher” and that Joe Maddon felt pressure from the team’s “Jewish ownership” to start Shields over Matt Garza.
The hosts rightfully mock her — “then why isn’t Gabe Kapler starting?” — but it could have been better. For example: I wish someone would have asked her if Shield’s home/road splits and gopherball tendencies are a Zionist plot. Maybe we all would have learned something, ya know?
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)