MLB announces playoff umpire assignments for first round

Oct 5, 2010, 1:48 PM EDT

Angel Hernandez

Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com has the details on which umpires have been assigned to each first-round playoff series:
Twins-Yankees: Jerry Crawford, Hunter Wendelstedt, Greg Gibson, Brian O’Nora, Gary Darling, Chris Guccione.
Rays-Rangers: Tim Welke, Jim Wolf, Jerry Meals, Bill Miller, Jeff Kellogg, Mike DiMuro.
Giants-Braves: Dana DeMuth, Paul Nauert, Paul Emmel, Mike Winters, Jerry Layne, Ed Hickox.
Phillies-Reds: John Hirschbeck, Bruce Dreckman, Sam Holbrook, Ed Rapuano, Gary Cederstrom, Rob Drake.
Twins fans will be happy to note the absence of Phil Cuzzi, and all eight teams will probably be thrilled not to see Joe West or Bob Davidson on any of the lists.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM

“all eight teams will probably be thrilled not to see Joe West or Bob Davidson on any of the lists.”
    Truer words have never been written…although…I guess this means we will see them later on in the playoffs then??

2. Jonny5 - Oct 5, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Quatto will not be pleased…..

3. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 2:13 PM

Larry Andersen will have a target for his dissatisfaction, though.

4. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Killjoy. Ya couldn’t let us just savor it for a little bit?

5. Steve C - Oct 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM

No Angel Hernandez either, yay.

6. Buccofan - Oct 5, 2010 at 2:27 PM

So which of the six assigned to the Twins-Yankees series will make that ONE horrible call to cost the Twins a game?

7. Jonny5 - Oct 5, 2010 at 2:55 PM

I love that guy sometimes…… http://www.tindeck.com/listen/pigi

8. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:19 PM

He’s awesome. I still don’t hear his F bomb there.

9. Jonny5 - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:24 PM

Which Ump was he freaking on when Cole had his last real start? He was totally off his rocker over the strike zone in that game.

10. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Mike Winters was behind the plate. I was watching the TMac and Wheels circus.

11. Sam Lee - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:39 PM

A couple games ago Tim Welke took part in helping the Reds by ignoring replay and making a call that is easy for every umpire above Pop Warner. If he or someone wants to argue that the umpiring crew made an error, there is absolutely no way he is qualified to umpire much less participate in the playoffs.
    It would have been nice if NBC or this blog decided to write about umpires who are grossly incompetent or corrupt and how they didn’t care about video replay. Oh well, a missed opportunity for real journalism. I suppose you need to save your energy for another fashionable article on statistics.

12. Jonny5 - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:49 PM

You missed it then. If Winters was in the booth he would be dead right now and Andersen would be in Jail. “Beat to death by microphone”. I was picturing Franzke cowering in the corner until Larry got done punching something.

13. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Maybe I can find it somewhere online. Hollywood was having an old-fashioned Hamels hissy fit on the mound, though. He hadn’t had one of them in a while. Hopefully now it’s out of his system, since he tends to implode during and after them.

14. minnesconsin_ad - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:12 PM

was thinking the same thing.

15. Jonny5 - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, I missed that. I was wondering if he was having a tantrum or not. By the way L. A. was reacting I figured he was for sure. He needs to keep his temper in check. It seems that’s the key to him having a good outing. I hope he doesn’t abuse Heidi. I have room for her if she needs it. I’m always ready to help, that’s just the kind of guy I am.

16. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:25 PM

In the basement like Tiffany? But what would your tile-demanding wife have to say about that?

17. Jonny5 - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Well, I guess we could let her upstairs?? My wife is getting that new tile, she owes me some gratitude right??? But then she may just burn my deck off while I sleep. Can’t live without that….. I need to rethink this..

18. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:41 PM

As long as you keep that e in deck–rather than another vowel…

And since when is gratitude ever owed us? I was under the impression that we should be grateful to them for that stuff. Am I misinformed?

19. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 5:01 PM

Greg Gibson.

20. nfieldr - Oct 5, 2010 at 5:15 PM

And thankfully, no Bill Hohn. Can definitely do without “The ‘Stache”

21. MerkleBoner - Oct 5, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Giants fans are a lot happier about the absence of Cuzzi thank you very much:

22. Ross - Oct 5, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Dock? I don’t get it. ;)

23. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Duck, obviously. Have you ever had burnt duck? Yuck.

24. Jonny5 - Oct 6, 2010 at 8:04 AM

I’m getting an extension put on my deck next week. It’s going to be totally awesome. Adding some to the length, the width. You know when you have a party and everyone wants to hang out on your deck? Well now everyone will be able to hang on it for as long as they want. Brazilian iron wood…… hey does anyone have any tips on how to keep my deck all nice and clean? Oh yeah, I talked to my wife last night. No you were not misinformed, you are to be very grateful to wife for allowing you to live in your own home. Buy Jewelry … Whoa, that was strange….Kinda drifted off for a minute there…

25. Utley's hair - Oct 6, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Damn. Part of me was hoping that I was misinformed as part of some Chromo X counterintelligence movement, but I guess I wasn’t. —sigh—

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3320)