Oct 5, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
General manager Jed Hoyer said yesterday that the Padres will not exercise their $8.5 million option on Chris Young for next year, which isn’t surprising after he missed nearly the entire season with shoulder problems.
Young had a 1.49 ERA in three September starts after sitting out five months, but his 10/8 K/BB ratio in 14 innings wasn’t nearly as encouraging and his fastball velocity was down to just 84 miles per hour.
Hoyer did praise Young for battling to make it back before the end of the season and told Corey Brock of MLB.com that the Padres would be open to re-signing him at a lesser salary. “I was really impressed with the way he came back,” Hoyer said. “He came back, pushed through and made big starts for us.”
Young will surely have multiple teams interested in him as a free agent, but seems likely to receive primarily incentive-laden offers and keeping Petco Park as your home ballpark is always a good idea for a pitcher trying to recoup lost value.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (200)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)