Phillies' NLDS roster: Domonic Brown in, Danys Baez out

Oct 5, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT

The Phillies decided to go with 10 pitchers in announcing their NLDS roster Tuesday, leaving no room for Danys Baez, Kyle Kendrick or Rule 5 pick David Herndon.
The roster, as called by Todd Zolecki a bit before the official announcement:
SP: Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels
RP: Brad Lidge, Ryan Madson, Jose Contreras, J.C. Romero, Chad Durbin, Joe Blanton, Antonio Bastardo
C: Carlos Ruiz, Brian Schneider
INF: Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Placido Polanco, Wilson Valdez, Mike Sweeney, Greg Dobbs
OF: Raul Ibanez, Shane Victorino, Jayson Werth, Ben Francisco, Ross Gload, Domonic Brown
Baez returned from the DL on Sept. 10 to allow just one run and one hit over his first five innings of work, but he got lit up for four runs in two-thirds of an inning by the Braves on the final day of the season, killing his chances of claiming a spot. Bastardo, probably the 10th man on the staff, allowed one run and posted a 12/0 K/BB ratio in 5 2/3 innings between September and October.
If the Phillies move past the Reds and on to the NLCS, they’ll likely add either Baez or Kendrick as an 11th pitcher and subtract either Brown or Dobbs. Brown was a complete non-factor down the stretch, getting just 12 at-bats between September and October, so he’d seem to be the likely choice to go. Dobbs had a terrible season, hitting just .196/.251/.331 in 163 at-bats, but he has tons of experience as a pinch-hitter, something that Brown obviously lacks.

1. basiltherat - Oct 5, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Tsk tsk: DomOnic Brown.

2. Matthew Pouliot - Oct 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM

For some reason, that fact just doesn’t want to stick in my head.

3. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM

Baez or Kendrick? Dear God, what a choice.

4. Buccofan - Oct 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Every team has that problem. There’s a reason why the last pitcher is last. Usually it’s because he’s not specifically too good.

5. Mike d - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:34 PM

They will keep Brown be be use of his speed. He will be there pinch runner throughout the post season.

6. Paul - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:10 AM

I can’t see putting Dobbs on the roster. He has not hit all year.he is below avg. on defense. no speed I think he must have some pictures of Charlie Manuel he dose not want shown. Phils should have put Maberry or added another arm like Worleyon roster.

7. CJ - Oct 6, 2010 at 8:21 AM

I completely agree, though Mayberry has disappointed this year at times. I was really hoping that Baez, Kendrick, and Dobbs would all be left off the roster, but I’m happy with 2 out of 3. Cholly’s very loyal to his guys so I’d have been shocked if Dobbs was left off.

8. Jonny5 - Oct 6, 2010 at 9:18 AM

No, No, No. Brown will be on and Dobbs will be off for the NLCS. Brown is quicker, Brown has better numbers, Brown has a much much better arm, Brown will have rookie addrenaline running through his veins too. These are all very good reasons why Dobbs will not be in the NLCS if it is a Dobbs or Brown decision for Charlie.

9. Philly56 - Oct 6, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Blanton? Yeah, cause he did so well from the bullpen on Sunday and through the season as a starter.

10. Utley's hair - Oct 6, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Joe’s been pitching better in the last month or so–not exactly claims of his second half dominance that were crammed down our throats in the first half, but he was better in September. Besides, if it’s down to Kendrick, Baez or Blanton, I’ll take Joe.

11. Jonny5 - Oct 6, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Damn right you will. Joe has been his old “Moose” self for the last month or so. Just let him warm up for like 2 innings before bringing him out of the Pen, if that’s what he’s there for anyway. It irks me when people trash big joe, he was injured this season.

12. Utley's hair - Oct 6, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Have him pitch a simulated game in the pen, mirroring the starter from the third or fourth inning on, then he’ll be ready. And I was one of the ones dogging him when he was dogging it. A thousand and one apologies, Jonny. Please try to find it in your circuitry to forgive me, Mr. Roboto.

And by the way, H2O? Really? That’s what we’re going with? The universal solvent?

What’ll the Phightins Phans be chanting at Volquez?

13. RickB - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:37 PM

I think Dobbs is there in case Rollins and Polanco both come up hurting and they need somebody to play third.

14. Jonny5 - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I’m not on the whole H2O bandwagon. I think that’s just too easy. I like Hallozwalamels better. Or Hallamelswalt. C’mon people we have to do better than H2O. Don’t we? Can we?

All the trade deadline news to know