Oct 5, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
The Phillies decided to go with 10 pitchers in announcing their NLDS roster Tuesday, leaving no room for Danys Baez, Kyle Kendrick or Rule 5 pick David Herndon.
The roster, as called by Todd Zolecki a bit before the official announcement:
SP: Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels
RP: Brad Lidge, Ryan Madson, Jose Contreras, J.C. Romero, Chad Durbin, Joe Blanton, Antonio Bastardo
C: Carlos Ruiz, Brian Schneider
INF: Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Placido Polanco, Wilson Valdez, Mike Sweeney, Greg Dobbs
OF: Raul Ibanez, Shane Victorino, Jayson Werth, Ben Francisco, Ross Gload, Domonic Brown
Baez returned from the DL on Sept. 10 to allow just one run and one hit over his first five innings of work, but he got lit up for four runs in two-thirds of an inning by the Braves on the final day of the season, killing his chances of claiming a spot. Bastardo, probably the 10th man on the staff, allowed one run and posted a 12/0 K/BB ratio in 5 2/3 innings between September and October.
If the Phillies move past the Reds and on to the NLCS, they’ll likely add either Baez or Kendrick as an 11th pitcher and subtract either Brown or Dobbs. Brown was a complete non-factor down the stretch, getting just 12 at-bats between September and October, so he’d seem to be the likely choice to go. Dobbs had a terrible season, hitting just .196/.251/.331 in 163 at-bats, but he has tons of experience as a pinch-hitter, something that Brown obviously lacks.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 0
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 19
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)