Oct 5, 2010, 6:30 PM EST
The Phillies decided to go with 10 pitchers in announcing their NLDS roster Tuesday, leaving no room for Danys Baez, Kyle Kendrick or Rule 5 pick David Herndon.
The roster, as called by Todd Zolecki a bit before the official announcement:
SP: Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels
RP: Brad Lidge, Ryan Madson, Jose Contreras, J.C. Romero, Chad Durbin, Joe Blanton, Antonio Bastardo
C: Carlos Ruiz, Brian Schneider
INF: Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Placido Polanco, Wilson Valdez, Mike Sweeney, Greg Dobbs
OF: Raul Ibanez, Shane Victorino, Jayson Werth, Ben Francisco, Ross Gload, Domonic Brown
Baez returned from the DL on Sept. 10 to allow just one run and one hit over his first five innings of work, but he got lit up for four runs in two-thirds of an inning by the Braves on the final day of the season, killing his chances of claiming a spot. Bastardo, probably the 10th man on the staff, allowed one run and posted a 12/0 K/BB ratio in 5 2/3 innings between September and October.
If the Phillies move past the Reds and on to the NLCS, they’ll likely add either Baez or Kendrick as an 11th pitcher and subtract either Brown or Dobbs. Brown was a complete non-factor down the stretch, getting just 12 at-bats between September and October, so he’d seem to be the likely choice to go. Dobbs had a terrible season, hitting just .196/.251/.331 in 163 at-bats, but he has tons of experience as a pinch-hitter, something that Brown obviously lacks.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)