Oct 5, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
The Phillies decided to go with 10 pitchers in announcing their NLDS roster Tuesday, leaving no room for Danys Baez, Kyle Kendrick or Rule 5 pick David Herndon.
The roster, as called by Todd Zolecki a bit before the official announcement:
SP: Roy Halladay, Roy Oswalt, Cole Hamels
RP: Brad Lidge, Ryan Madson, Jose Contreras, J.C. Romero, Chad Durbin, Joe Blanton, Antonio Bastardo
C: Carlos Ruiz, Brian Schneider
INF: Ryan Howard, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, Placido Polanco, Wilson Valdez, Mike Sweeney, Greg Dobbs
OF: Raul Ibanez, Shane Victorino, Jayson Werth, Ben Francisco, Ross Gload, Domonic Brown
Baez returned from the DL on Sept. 10 to allow just one run and one hit over his first five innings of work, but he got lit up for four runs in two-thirds of an inning by the Braves on the final day of the season, killing his chances of claiming a spot. Bastardo, probably the 10th man on the staff, allowed one run and posted a 12/0 K/BB ratio in 5 2/3 innings between September and October.
If the Phillies move past the Reds and on to the NLCS, they’ll likely add either Baez or Kendrick as an 11th pitcher and subtract either Brown or Dobbs. Brown was a complete non-factor down the stretch, getting just 12 at-bats between September and October, so he’d seem to be the likely choice to go. Dobbs had a terrible season, hitting just .196/.251/.331 in 163 at-bats, but he has tons of experience as a pinch-hitter, something that Brown obviously lacks.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)