Poll: What do you think of MLB's unwritten rules?

Oct 5, 2010, 2:44 AM EST

Bob Harkins has written a story on the unwritten rules of baseball over at NBCSports.com. He interviewed several players to get their views, and the results, found here, are pretty interesting. There is also a story looking at the most common unwritten rules, and you can get Craig’s take here.

So what do you think? Vote here, then leave your comments below.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 5, 2010 at 7:56 AM

If they write down the “unwritten rules” would they still be “unwritten”? Also, when did Morgan Ensberg become somebody…because he has a blog? I read his latest post, and it was pretty off-the-wall. Tony LaRussa especially hates #3.

2. adam - Oct 5, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Is it just me or is that whole article about what the unwritten rules are just a general re-post of Ensberg’s blog?

3. okobojicat - Oct 5, 2010 at 9:15 AM

I don’t like the choices in the poll. Why can’t they be silly and necessary? There are lots of quite silly and necessary things in the world. Like Calvin & Hobbs and Steve Martin.
    I’ve played a lot of baseball, especially in amateur old man leagues where competition is toned down quite a bit and “unwritten” rules are played up more. Don’t steal signs unless the other team isn’t trying to hide it. Don’t run up the score by stealing bases/taking extra bases/taking extra pitches. They’re kind of a way to show respect to your opponents.
    The unwritten rules are more common sense. I don’t think the Braden thing is an unwritten rule as much as its dumb for Arod to run across the mound. its not any faster to go over the hill, in fact, its awkward. I think Tulo and his theory of “high emotions” hit that right on.
    The unwritten rules are kind of bunk for major league because stats are so so important for salary reasons. Especially for arbitration eligible players. Those 3 stolen bases picked up in blowouts could really swing their income by a .5m the next year, and that .5m could swing their follow year’s income by 1m. That’s a big deal.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Oct 5, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I think most unwritten rules were created by Tony La Russa in the mid-70s. It was based on this work that he got his job managing the White Sox.

5. Mr. Heyward - Oct 5, 2010 at 10:38 AM

“The problem is that the players often disagree on what exactly the rules are, interpret them differently, or choose to ignore them altogether. This leads to countless disagreements, some heated moments, and a handful of brawls every season.” …that’s why we keep them in the “gentleman’s game” and why we don’t write them down. WE LOVE HEATED MOMENTS IN SPORTS, BABY WOOOOOO!

6. IdahoMariner - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM

yet another reason the man makes me seethe.

7. InnocentBystander - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM

What do I think? I think unwritten rules are things for whiners to complain about. When I’m commissioner of baseball the first pitcher to bitch about a no-hitter being broken up by a bunt gets suspend for life.

8. IdahoMariner - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:45 PM

hear hear! that one just doesn’t make any sense whatsover. How is it a no-hitter if teams aren’t, um, hitting against you?
    nor did it make sense when the marlins were made that nyjer morgan tried to steal when his team was losing by 11 runs. the “don’t steal in a blowout” rule is for the team that’s winning, marlins, not the losing team. duh. morgan’s a tool, but he wasn’t doing anything but playing the game when he stole those bases.

9. IdahoMariner - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM

and I should have said “how is it a no-hitter if teams aren’t, um hitting against you ON PURPOSE?”

10. Tony A - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM

Most of the “unwritten” rules are BS left over from when the game WAS a game, which it no longer is. I didn’t answer the poll because non of the answers fit my views. #2’s closest, but the “stiffing of competition” part warded me off. How they do affect the game badly is by contributing to the type of brouhaha we saw between Miami and Washington, possibly resulting in injuries to our favorite entertainers.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester