Oct 5, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
Joel Sherman of the New York Post took a section of his Yankees scouting
report today to pass along some observations about Joe Girardi:
It is amazing how often scouts noted the look and body language of
ended up being portrayed as something akin to a prisoner of war, going
gaunt and fidgety. He showed his dejection at bad moments much more
overtly than last year. In fact, after seemingly making some strides
last season in de-stressing his uptight persona, Girardi regressed to
the evasive, paranoid and edgy nature that marked his first year
managing the Yankees in 2008 . . Girardi tends to display his tension and short temper at the hottest moments.
Of course, why this is in a playoff preview is an open question, because none of those are observations* about how the guy runs his baseball team. How can you say anyone is “edgy, paranoid or evasive” based on the tactical decisions he makes or the lineup card he fills out? You can’t. All of those observations are things you can only get from talking to a person or, at the very least, watching him in a press conference.
In other words, Sherman has devoted a section of his “Scouting Report” of the Yankees’ playoff prospects to bashing Girardi because he hasn’t been as friendly and forthcoming with the media in 2010 as he was in 2009. Interesting choice, but pretty beside the point in a playoff preview, wouldn’t you agree?
*And these observations are attributed to “scouts.” Of course, reporters have been citing anonymous “scouts” to give them cover for their own opinions for years. Or, as would seem to be going on in this case, find a way to shoehorn a personal swipe at Girardi into a scouting piece.
(thanks to TYU for the heads up)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 39
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15