Oct 5, 2010, 1:04 PM EST
T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times can be a great read. Sometimes I think he stacks the deck a bit with his presentation (query: did he really ask the question that way, or is he making himself look macho in the writeup?), but oftentimes his approach manages to pull out the larger truths of a situation, even if I wouldn’t make him my go-to guy for the details of said situation.
Case in point is today’s piece on Ned Colletti’s Monday press conference. I’m guessing that the order and/or nature of the questions asked Colletti weren’t quite as, oh, I dunno, snappy as Simers presents them. But I also think that Simers’ portrayal of Colletti and Don Mattingly basically being at a loss as to what the future holds for the Dodgers is pretty accurate.
After a year of being told that the divorce had no bearing on the Dodgers’ baseball operations — and by being told specifically by Dodgers media people that even typing such a thing was misleading — we’re about to embark on a winter in which the Dodgers can no longer use “hey, we’re the NL West champs; there’s not need for big fixes” as an excuse for not spending money to improve the team.
- Report: MLB panel split on Josh Hamilton punishment; one-year suspension is in play 0
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 3
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 1
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 358
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (72)