Oct 5, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times can be a great read. Sometimes I think he stacks the deck a bit with his presentation (query: did he really ask the question that way, or is he making himself look macho in the writeup?), but oftentimes his approach manages to pull out the larger truths of a situation, even if I wouldn’t make him my go-to guy for the details of said situation.
Case in point is today’s piece on Ned Colletti’s Monday press conference. I’m guessing that the order and/or nature of the questions asked Colletti weren’t quite as, oh, I dunno, snappy as Simers presents them. But I also think that Simers’ portrayal of Colletti and Don Mattingly basically being at a loss as to what the future holds for the Dodgers is pretty accurate.
After a year of being told that the divorce had no bearing on the Dodgers’ baseball operations — and by being told specifically by Dodgers media people that even typing such a thing was misleading — we’re about to embark on a winter in which the Dodgers can no longer use “hey, we’re the NL West champs; there’s not need for big fixes” as an excuse for not spending money to improve the team.
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 38
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 28
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)