Oct 5, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times can be a great read. Sometimes I think he stacks the deck a bit with his presentation (query: did he really ask the question that way, or is he making himself look macho in the writeup?), but oftentimes his approach manages to pull out the larger truths of a situation, even if I wouldn’t make him my go-to guy for the details of said situation.
Case in point is today’s piece on Ned Colletti’s Monday press conference. I’m guessing that the order and/or nature of the questions asked Colletti weren’t quite as, oh, I dunno, snappy as Simers presents them. But I also think that Simers’ portrayal of Colletti and Don Mattingly basically being at a loss as to what the future holds for the Dodgers is pretty accurate.
After a year of being told that the divorce had no bearing on the Dodgers’ baseball operations — and by being told specifically by Dodgers media people that even typing such a thing was misleading — we’re about to embark on a winter in which the Dodgers can no longer use “hey, we’re the NL West champs; there’s not need for big fixes” as an excuse for not spending money to improve the team.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 3
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)