Oct 5, 2010, 1:04 PM EDT
T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times can be a great read. Sometimes I think he stacks the deck a bit with his presentation (query: did he really ask the question that way, or is he making himself look macho in the writeup?), but oftentimes his approach manages to pull out the larger truths of a situation, even if I wouldn’t make him my go-to guy for the details of said situation.
Case in point is today’s piece on Ned Colletti’s Monday press conference. I’m guessing that the order and/or nature of the questions asked Colletti weren’t quite as, oh, I dunno, snappy as Simers presents them. But I also think that Simers’ portrayal of Colletti and Don Mattingly basically being at a loss as to what the future holds for the Dodgers is pretty accurate.
After a year of being told that the divorce had no bearing on the Dodgers’ baseball operations — and by being told specifically by Dodgers media people that even typing such a thing was misleading — we’re about to embark on a winter in which the Dodgers can no longer use “hey, we’re the NL West champs; there’s not need for big fixes” as an excuse for not spending money to improve the team.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)