Oct 5, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Yesterday the New York Daily News‘ front page featured the headline “E-Z Pass” next to a photo of Jorge Posada and this text:
Bad news: Yanks must go on the road for playoffs. Good news: They play the Twins.
Some of my fellow Minnesotans who’re apparently unfamiliar with the nature of New York newspapers and their headlines were upset about the whole thing, and now Kelsie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Twins have the front page “hanging on the white board in the clubhouse today.”
Trying to motivate athletes by convincing them everyone else doesn’t respect them is basically standard operating procedure at every level of every sport, but this rings sort of hollow for two reasons.
First and foremost is that no one on or even affiliated with the Yankees actually disrespected the Twins, it was just some headline writer in New York trying to sell a few extra newspapers. Beyond that, the Twins are 18-54 versus the Yankees under manager Ron Gardenhire, so the notion that New Yorkers should be happy to face Minnesota in the first round isn’t exactly a stretch. But hey, whatever works.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)