Oct 5, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Yesterday the New York Daily News‘ front page featured the headline “E-Z Pass” next to a photo of Jorge Posada and this text:
Bad news: Yanks must go on the road for playoffs. Good news: They play the Twins.
Some of my fellow Minnesotans who’re apparently unfamiliar with the nature of New York newspapers and their headlines were upset about the whole thing, and now Kelsie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Twins have the front page “hanging on the white board in the clubhouse today.”
Trying to motivate athletes by convincing them everyone else doesn’t respect them is basically standard operating procedure at every level of every sport, but this rings sort of hollow for two reasons.
First and foremost is that no one on or even affiliated with the Yankees actually disrespected the Twins, it was just some headline writer in New York trying to sell a few extra newspapers. Beyond that, the Twins are 18-54 versus the Yankees under manager Ron Gardenhire, so the notion that New Yorkers should be happy to face Minnesota in the first round isn’t exactly a stretch. But hey, whatever works.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 10
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)