Oct 5, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Yesterday the New York Daily News‘ front page featured the headline “E-Z Pass” next to a photo of Jorge Posada and this text:
Bad news: Yanks must go on the road for playoffs. Good news: They play the Twins.
Some of my fellow Minnesotans who’re apparently unfamiliar with the nature of New York newspapers and their headlines were upset about the whole thing, and now Kelsie Smith of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Twins have the front page “hanging on the white board in the clubhouse today.”
Trying to motivate athletes by convincing them everyone else doesn’t respect them is basically standard operating procedure at every level of every sport, but this rings sort of hollow for two reasons.
First and foremost is that no one on or even affiliated with the Yankees actually disrespected the Twins, it was just some headline writer in New York trying to sell a few extra newspapers. Beyond that, the Twins are 18-54 versus the Yankees under manager Ron Gardenhire, so the notion that New Yorkers should be happy to face Minnesota in the first round isn’t exactly a stretch. But hey, whatever works.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)