Why must the Mets copy anyone?

Oct 5, 2010, 9:15 AM EDT

Yesterday one of the ESPN talking heads — I want to say Olney, but it may have been someone else — said, after the Mets fired Omar Minaya, that they need a GM who can make a big splash and who can “compete with the Yankees.”  I thought this was silly, because an argument can be made that one of the Mets’ biggest problems is that they think that the Yankees — rather than the NL East — is their competition, and make a lot of bad decisions because of it.

Mike Vaccaro of the New York Post writes a column this morning agreeing that the Yankees shouldn’t be the Mets’ bogey because, well, they’re the Yankees and they do things differently than other teams do. I think his analysis — that the Mets should rebuild and prepare fans that winning may not come soon — is spot on.

I just wish that his headline — “Mets must copy Phils” — was different.  It shouldn’t be about copying. Rebuilding is going to take on different forms depending on the place in which a team finds itself when it begins the rebuild.

1. Lukehart80 - Oct 5, 2010 at 9:26 AM

the mets just shouldn’t copy the mets.

2. okobojicat - Oct 5, 2010 at 9:30 AM

Why do they need to rebuild at all?
    They have a great SS, a great 3B, a great CF, a serviceable LF, and someone who is ready to breakout hugely in Pagan to play RF.
    They have a 1B who wowed the world in is rookie year.
    Between Niese, Pelfrey, and Santana, they have the makings of a decent rotation. We all knows its not that hard to build a credible bullpen.
    This is a team that could very easily compete next year. There is no need to rebuild. If they find another starter to plug in – and I’m not talking Cliff Lee. I’m thinking more Carl Pavano type – a workhorse who’ll give you 25 quality starts and about 200 innings. What Kevin Millwood was for years.
    They have a great lineup that Jerry Manuel proved he didn’t know what to do with it.
    But this is not a team that needs to be blown up….Unlike the Cubs….

3. Simon DelMonte - Oct 5, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I think the Mets need more than a few tweaks to be competitive in the NL East as it is now, but I do agree that the team as we see it now has many of the pieces in place. I would say, though, that the bullpen needs a lot of attention, and the team’s failures at the plate and on the road still trouble me. I don’t really know how you fix that without shaking things up, but shaking things up just to shake things up doesn’t seem wise.
    Still, I am not the pessimist so many tend to be. And it’s October 5. Ask me what I think on March 27.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 5, 2010 at 9:44 AM

If they keep together the SS, 3B and CF for 2011, they are destined to once again fail. I said it in July, when the CF came back, that the Mutts would go in the tank and they did. They are chokers. Always have been. Always will be. Get what you can now for Reyes. Keep Wright. Nobody will take Beltran’s albatross contract with his injuries anyway so you have to keep him. Trade Reyes and go after Lee. That would be a killer rotation with Johan/Lee/Pelfrey/Neise. Would actually almost be pretty close to the Phillies.

5. Simon DelMonte - Oct 5, 2010 at 9:47 AM

Copy the Phils? No. Learn from how they did it? Hell yes. Every fall I look at how that team was built, and feel both envy and respect.
    That said, I am one Mets fan who is willing to wait for the team to rebuild. I just hope that whoever ends up pulling the strings thinks in terms of pitching and speed. Citi Field is built for such things. (Think of the 80s Cardinals, and how they used the wide open spaces of the old Busch Stadium.)

6. BC - Oct 5, 2010 at 10:11 AM

The Mets need a crudload of pitching help and a closer that stays out of jail. That, and Ike Davis did not wow the world. The guy hit like .255. That’s not wow. Reyes had an OK year, but you won’t see him steal 75 bases ever again. Bay is useless. Beltran is toast. Pagan and Wright were the only guys on the team that weren’t injured for a long stretch and had what I would say were good years. Lee would be a great pickup, and I’d seriously think about dealing Reyes for some added pitching help.

7. Fernando - Oct 5, 2010 at 10:45 AM

The words “Carl Pavano” and the words “workhouse” in the same sentence make me laugh. If the Mets take him, I can see him pitching so bad that fans will want Oliver Perez back.

8. -z- - Oct 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM

You all talk as if the problem is on the field – Until the day Fred announces that Jeffrey is going to concentrate on his stamp colleciton next year instead of hanging around the locker room, nothing is going to change.

9. Bull Durham - Oct 5, 2010 at 10:54 AM

A team is more than the sum of its parts. You can argue all day about the talent of Reyes, Wright and company. I’ve come to believe that there really is such a thing as winning and losing clubhouses in sports. As a Phillies fan, I know I’m not alone in my belief that this team was born was the day the Phils shipped Bobby Abreu out of town. I don’t know exactly why one player can make such a difference but I do think that teams take on the personality of their leaders. You see that same dynamic everywhere in life – at your workplace, at your home, in politics. The day the Phillies were no longer Abreu’s team and became Utley, Rollins and Howard’s team was the day they set foot on the road to championships. The Mets will NEVER win championships as long as Reyes and Wright are the clubhouse leaders. I don’t mean to disparage them and they may well be nice guys, but I fully believe in this phenomenon and the current Mets have demonstrated that they just don’t have it.

10. YANKEES1996 - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Copying another franchise is not the answer and the new Gm that they hire will most likely know this. The name on the short list that is being thrown around this morning that sounds good is John Hart, he has a good baseball mind and has shown he can get the job done. Don’t copy anyone, just do your own thing and stop throwing money away on players like Beltran, Bay and Perez. The other problem that the Mets have to deal with is Jeff Wilpon, he needs to be told to get the hell out of the kitchen and stay out and let the new Gm and manager do their jobs. His constant interference and his belief that he knows best is causing the team to take two steps back everytime they take one step forward. The first thing the new Gm needs to do is to tell him to butt out!

11. The Steve Jeltz Experiment - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Angel Pagan is 29 years old with a career OPS of 765. I guess he could turn into the next Jayson Werth, but I wouldn’t bet on it. Overall, trying again with the same core strikes me as likely to bring more failure.
    If I’m the Mets, bring in the new management and let them figure out a way to change things, with no restrictions (including trading Reyes or Wright). Maybe that’s not necessary, but don’t tie their hands.

12. Mike d - Oct 5, 2010 at 1:12 PM

That’s the whole point of Vaccarro’s article that Gillick knew he had to trade Thome to make room for Howard and trade Abreu to make room for new leadership. All these Mutts fans are kidding themselves if they think a few tweaks will help them. I see Wright just like Abreu a great fantasy league player but you don’t want him up there when the game is on the line versus Howard who says “just get me to the plate boys”. I see Washington finishing ahead of this current Mutt teM next year.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2495)