Oct 5, 2010, 9:15 AM EST
Yesterday one of the ESPN talking heads — I want to say Olney, but it may have been someone else — said, after the Mets fired Omar Minaya, that they need a GM who can make a big splash and who can “compete with the Yankees.” I thought this was silly, because an argument can be made that one of the Mets’ biggest problems is that they think that the Yankees — rather than the NL East — is their competition, and make a lot of bad decisions because of it.
Mike Vaccaro of the New York Post writes a column this morning agreeing that the Yankees shouldn’t be the Mets’ bogey because, well, they’re the Yankees and they do things differently than other teams do. I think his analysis — that the Mets should rebuild and prepare fans that winning may not come soon — is spot on.
I just wish that his headline — “Mets must copy Phils” — was different. It shouldn’t be about copying. Rebuilding is going to take on different forms depending on the place in which a team finds itself when it begins the rebuild.
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 148
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 67
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (148)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)