Why shouldn't Mets fans be happy that Manuel and Minaya got canned?

Oct 5, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

Yesterday, after the Minaya and Manuel firings, a number of New York (or New Yorky) writers made a point to talk about how great those guys are, how sad it is that they’re losing their jobs and how unseemly it was that Mets fans and bloggers were expressing happiness about the moves.

I thought it was strange. I also thought it was cynical, and was possibly borne of guys not happy about losing good sources or drinking buddies or whatever.

Matthew Callan of Amazin’ Avenue, however, explains today how simply misguided such thinking is, whatever was motivating it.  Most of the post is devoted to noting the divide between how the media and how the fans view the ballclub to which they’re attached. The key analogy here, however, is that fans are basically investors. Not necessarily financially — no one fan’s contribution to the Mets is all that significant — but in terms of mental and emotional effort.

While it would certainly be over-the-top to lay serious hate on Minaya and Manuel or to wish them real ill, It makes no more sense to criticize fans for being pleased that they got fired than it does to criticize stockholders to be pleased when the CEO gets canned.  It’s business. People are just protecting their investment, and they have a right to a bit selfish about that.

Good stuff. Go check it out.

1. john pileggi - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I suspect that not many would reverse the decision to fire Minaya and Manuel, but it is a nice change to have fans think of the human impact of sports decisions and about the nature and quality of the people involved. To a certain extent, some of the sympathy is linked to unhappiness with Jeff Wilpon as the COO and the general state of affairs since Bobby Valentine was dismissed. Managers, and General Managers are hired to be fired (unless you are Bobby Cox), and this IS a business. But, periodically a good guy forces a tear from the cheek of a rabid fan.

2. Dan in Katonah - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Would I drink a beer with them, sure. Do I want them within 5 miles of Citi Field, no thanks. If we can ditch Wilpon, so much the better. But that is not happening, so hopefully he will hire talent and let them do their jobs.

3. BC - Oct 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM

One year too late, in my book.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Media members who say that are kiss-asses. That’s why a guy like Mike Missanelli is the best thing around. He will rip anybody, anytime and doesn’t have his nose up the ass of anyone. He’s a true voice for the fan.

5. Simon DelMonte - Oct 5, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I would say that “nice guys finish last” but the man who said that was, from what I can tell, fairly well liked with the press, too. If only because he was a great quote.
    I am not happy or bummed by Manuel’s firing. I don’t like seeing people lose work, and I really think he would be a great drinking buddy, but he didn’t cut it, either, and he will likely land on his feet. His firing is how things are done.
    Minaya, however…honestly, this once I am happy to see someone gone. And surprised that no one in the press remembers his treatment of Adam Rubin. Well, I am sure Rubin does, but he’s been a professional about this.

6. Dan in Katonah - Oct 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Try three years. Or two at the very least.

7. Old Gator - Oct 5, 2010 at 2:53 PM

I kind suspect that most Mutts fans hope someday to hear their watch alarms beeping from deep within a steaming pile of Spinosaurus shit.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto