Oct 5, 2010, 11:00 AM EST
Yesterday, after the Minaya and Manuel firings, a number of New York (or New Yorky) writers made a point to talk about how great those guys are, how sad it is that they’re losing their jobs and how unseemly it was that Mets fans and bloggers were expressing happiness about the moves.
I thought it was strange. I also thought it was cynical, and was possibly borne of guys not happy about losing good sources or drinking buddies or whatever.
Matthew Callan of Amazin’ Avenue, however, explains today how simply misguided such thinking is, whatever was motivating it. Most of the post is devoted to noting the divide between how the media and how the fans view the ballclub to which they’re attached. The key analogy here, however, is that fans are basically investors. Not necessarily financially — no one fan’s contribution to the Mets is all that significant — but in terms of mental and emotional effort.
While it would certainly be over-the-top to lay serious hate on Minaya and Manuel or to wish them real ill, It makes no more sense to criticize fans for being pleased that they got fired than it does to criticize stockholders to be pleased when the CEO gets canned. It’s business. People are just protecting their investment, and they have a right to a bit selfish about that.
Good stuff. Go check it out.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 0
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 80
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 34
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)