Oct 5, 2010, 10:48 AM EST
A.J. Burnett is in the second season of a five-year, $82.5 million contract, but the Yankees don’t even trust him enough to start Game 4 of the ALDS and will instead bump Burnett from the rotation while using CC Sabathia on short rest.
And it’s tough to blame them, because Burnett is 1-7 with a 6.61 ERA in 12 starts since August 1 and finished the season with a 5.26 ERA in 33 starts overall.
Including the playoffs Sabathia has made six career starts on three days’ rest, going 4-1 with a 1.52 ERA, and the 6-foot-7 southpaw told the Yankees he’d be “prepared to do that” if he got enough rest down the stretch.
Beyond bumping Burnett from the rotation the decision to bring Sabathia back on short rest for Game 4 also means that Andy Pettitte is lined up to start twice in the series, both in Minnesota, working Game 2 and (if necessary) Game 5. Phil Hughes will pitch Game 3.
Pettitte has pitched more innings and won more games in the playoffs than anyone in baseball history, but he’s also 38 years old and has started just three times since missing two months with a groin injury, giving up 11 runs on 22 hits in 13 innings. Hughes was great in the first half, but may be worn down from a career-high workload and has a 4.90 ERA in the second half. In other words, even while avoiding Burnett the Yankees still have some question marks in the postseason rotation.
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 4
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 160
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (160)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)