Your playoff-rooting flowchart

Oct 5, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT

This is the first time in five years that I haven’t had to look at a bunch of teams that I don’t care about and try and find one to (sorta) root for in the postseason.  Which is what I think you’re obligated to do as a fan, aren’t you? Even if you don’t do it game-by-game, you have to at least (again, sorta) pick a horse to ride in the playoffs, if for no other reason, than because their presence would make for a good matchup somewhere down the line.

I won’t have to do that at least until the LCS, so I’m good. But if you need to find a rooting interest, here’s a handy-dandy little flowchart that will make your life easier.

And don’t scroll down to the bottom until you’ve actually made your choices. I think the pics are the best part.

1. RichardInBigD - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:47 PM

This is priceless! I was wondering how long it was going to be until the post season spotlight shone up Ron Washington’s nose!

2. dprat - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM

I was just working this out for myself this morning. And although my process was completely different (I factored in how much I liked a given team’s players, manager, front office, and fans, as well as how much I liked the city they represented, and how long it had been since they won in the post-season). And in the end I could have saved myself the trouble, ’cause I ended up in the same place as with the flowchart. I’m rootin’ for the Gigantes!

3. Jonny5 - Oct 5, 2010 at 3:57 PM

coolness……….
    Anyone check out Coed Magazine.com? They have hot playoff babes wearing as little of their teams apparel as possible.
    It’s………… nice……. “sexy superfans of the 2010 MLB playoffs” I approve.

4. Mr. Heyward - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Legalize everything = Texas??? Sorry but Ron Washington’s coke use does not equate to rooting for a Texas-based team. Still love the flow chart thingy though, but my rooting ranks as follows:
    NL
    1. Braves
    2. Giants (in event of Braves loss)
    3. Reds (in event of Braves & Giants loss)
    4. Yankees (see below)
    AL
    1. Rays
    2. Twins (in event that Rays are knocked out)
    3. Rangers (in event that Rays and Twinkies knocked out)
    4. Yankees*
    *If the Phillies make the W.S., then the Yanks are promoted to number one b/c I think by then it will be clear the Yanks are the only team that can beat those douchenozzles.
    World Series
    – Any NL team except the douchenozzles.

5. Mr. Heyward - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:09 PM

you stoner

6. Jonny5 - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Mr Heyward, I’m going to really enjoy watching the Phills Douchenozzle the Reds this week. :>) Just for you.

7. Mr. Heyward - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I’m still surprised I’d root for the Yankees in any circumstance, but alas, the nozzles have grown considerably large on those douches in Philly.

8. Jonny5 - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:38 PM

That is some of the most vile language. I can’t believe for a second that deeep down you hate the Phills more than the Spankees. It’s not possible. A Braves fan should be wishing that any NL team beats any AL team. It’s just how it is. What did it for you? pukers? tazers? red men? What?

9. Mr. Heyward - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:51 PM

I can’t say it on here b/c he may be “listening”….but you forced my hand. One word: FIORENTINO!!!!!!!!!!! And note, I’m only rooting for the Yanks in the event they play the Phillies. This year, perhaps for the first time in my mind, they are the lesser of two evils.

10. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Possibly Fiorentino?

11. Mr. Heyward - Oct 5, 2010 at 5:00 PM

heh

12. Utley's hair - Oct 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I’ve noticed a wee bit of hostility in your interactions.

13. Tony A - Oct 5, 2010 at 5:04 PM

At last, something to laugh at about the postseason…utterly H I L A R I O U S !

14. Mr. Heyward - Oct 5, 2010 at 5:13 PM

It’s a healthy rivalry between the evil FIORENTINO!!! and myself. Unless, in the unfortunate event, my team loses and/or the Phillies win…then hell hath no fury like…ah never mind. I’ll just watch football and weep.
    But in all seriousness… I love Utley and the Doc (but don’t tell FIORENTINO!!!). I, like most, picked the Phils at the start of the season to win the division. To have the Braves do so well was a blessing that I never would have predicted. So if the Braves were to be swept by the Giants, I’d still be fairly happy with their season as a whole.

15. birdmancometh - Oct 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I will be rooting for the Yankees for 1 simple reason: A Yankees win would piss off more fellow baseball fans than any other team winning. And since I am still quite annoyed and depressed with the Pads collapse, this misery wants some company…Go Yanks!

16. Mrsteve - Oct 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I’d like to see a Twins vs Giants World Series or Twins/Braves part II

17. Jonny5 - Oct 6, 2010 at 8:35 AM

The Braves made ME proud with how they played this season. It was an interesting season for both our teams.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3965)