Oct 6, 2010, 6:25 PM EDT
Edinson Volquez was pulled from Game 1 of the NLDS in the second inning with the Reds trailing the Phillies 4-0, leaving Cincinnati in a major hole against an obviously sharp Roy Halladay.
Reds manager Dusty Baker took a big risk in going with the volatile Volquez in Game 1. Volquez earned consideration for the assignment by reeling off four straight quality starts last month. Volquez, though, had four starts in which he had more earned runs allowed than innings pitched in 12 outings since returning from Tommy John surgery.
The safe play for Baker would have been Bronson Arroyo, who won 17 games this year. Arroyo, though, struggles against lefties and is 1-5 with a 5.54 ERA lifetime against the Phillies. He’ll go in Game 2 anyway.
The gutsy call would have been Travis Wood. Wood finished the year with a 3.51 ERA, and he pitched a one-hit shutout in his start against the Phillies back on July 10. Wood, however, was left out of the original rotation. He’s working in relief now trying to keep the Reds in the game, and if he’s successful, one has to figure he’ll be penciled in to start Game 4 should the series get that far.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (91)