Oct 6, 2010, 6:25 PM EDT
Edinson Volquez was pulled from Game 1 of the NLDS in the second inning with the Reds trailing the Phillies 4-0, leaving Cincinnati in a major hole against an obviously sharp Roy Halladay.
Reds manager Dusty Baker took a big risk in going with the volatile Volquez in Game 1. Volquez earned consideration for the assignment by reeling off four straight quality starts last month. Volquez, though, had four starts in which he had more earned runs allowed than innings pitched in 12 outings since returning from Tommy John surgery.
The safe play for Baker would have been Bronson Arroyo, who won 17 games this year. Arroyo, though, struggles against lefties and is 1-5 with a 5.54 ERA lifetime against the Phillies. He’ll go in Game 2 anyway.
The gutsy call would have been Travis Wood. Wood finished the year with a 3.51 ERA, and he pitched a one-hit shutout in his start against the Phillies back on July 10. Wood, however, was left out of the original rotation. He’s working in relief now trying to keep the Reds in the game, and if he’s successful, one has to figure he’ll be penciled in to start Game 4 should the series get that far.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 16
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)