Oct 6, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
OK, so the actual story is less dirty than it probably sounds, but still.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post checked in on No. 1 overall pick Bryce Harper’s early experience in the Florida instructional league and got some amusing details from Nationals director of player development Doug Harris:
At the Nationals’ player development complex in Viera, Fla., the officials running the Nats’ Instructional League team set up a bracket-style tournament in which pairs of players compete in the game Cornhole, in which teammates try to throw beanbags filled with corn into through a hole in a wooden board. “Just to break up the monotony a little bit,” Harris said. They started today, and Harper — the first overall pick, apparently, for reasons other than his skill at Saturday morning tailgates — did not make it out of Round 1.
As for Harper’s actual performance on the field, here’s what Harris had to say:
Good days and bad days. He’s had some days with a couple homers. But he’s also swung through some balls. He’s still a 17-year-old. As physical and athletic as he is, it’s easy to overlook that at times. He looks like a 21-year-old college kid. He’s taken a lot in regarding defense, base running, his approach to hitting, all the finer points of the game.
Kilgore notes that Harper is unlikely to play in the Arizona Fall League, which begins next week. So he’ll have plenty of time to work on his cornholing.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 0
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 16
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 21
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)