Oct 6, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
OK, so the actual story is less dirty than it probably sounds, but still.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post checked in on No. 1 overall pick Bryce Harper’s early experience in the Florida instructional league and got some amusing details from Nationals director of player development Doug Harris:
At the Nationals’ player development complex in Viera, Fla., the officials running the Nats’ Instructional League team set up a bracket-style tournament in which pairs of players compete in the game Cornhole, in which teammates try to throw beanbags filled with corn into through a hole in a wooden board. “Just to break up the monotony a little bit,” Harris said. They started today, and Harper — the first overall pick, apparently, for reasons other than his skill at Saturday morning tailgates — did not make it out of Round 1.
As for Harper’s actual performance on the field, here’s what Harris had to say:
Good days and bad days. He’s had some days with a couple homers. But he’s also swung through some balls. He’s still a 17-year-old. As physical and athletic as he is, it’s easy to overlook that at times. He looks like a 21-year-old college kid. He’s taken a lot in regarding defense, base running, his approach to hitting, all the finer points of the game.
Kilgore notes that Harper is unlikely to play in the Arizona Fall League, which begins next week. So he’ll have plenty of time to work on his cornholing.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)