Oct 6, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
OK, so the actual story is less dirty than it probably sounds, but still.
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post checked in on No. 1 overall pick Bryce Harper’s early experience in the Florida instructional league and got some amusing details from Nationals director of player development Doug Harris:
At the Nationals’ player development complex in Viera, Fla., the officials running the Nats’ Instructional League team set up a bracket-style tournament in which pairs of players compete in the game Cornhole, in which teammates try to throw beanbags filled with corn into through a hole in a wooden board. “Just to break up the monotony a little bit,” Harris said. They started today, and Harper — the first overall pick, apparently, for reasons other than his skill at Saturday morning tailgates — did not make it out of Round 1.
As for Harper’s actual performance on the field, here’s what Harris had to say:
Good days and bad days. He’s had some days with a couple homers. But he’s also swung through some balls. He’s still a 17-year-old. As physical and athletic as he is, it’s easy to overlook that at times. He looks like a 21-year-old college kid. He’s taken a lot in regarding defense, base running, his approach to hitting, all the finer points of the game.
Kilgore notes that Harper is unlikely to play in the Arizona Fall League, which begins next week. So he’ll have plenty of time to work on his cornholing.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)