Oct 6, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
In the least surprising news since I said yes when offered a donut yesterday the Cardinals just officially exercised their 2011 option on Albert Pujols.
Instead of buying him out for $5 million (ha!) they’ll pay the best hitter in baseball $16 million while praying that he decides to remain in St. Louis for the long haul at some point before hitting the open market 13 months from now.
Because the Cardinals missed the playoffs Pujols is unlikely to garner a ton of MVP support from voters, but he hit .312/.414/.596 while leading the league with 42 homers, 118 RBIs, and 115 runs. He also ranked second to Joey Votto in OPS. In other words, he had another MVP-caliber season.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (154)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)