Oct 6, 2010, 5:45 PM EST
In the least surprising news since I said yes when offered a donut yesterday the Cardinals just officially exercised their 2011 option on Albert Pujols.
Instead of buying him out for $5 million (ha!) they’ll pay the best hitter in baseball $16 million while praying that he decides to remain in St. Louis for the long haul at some point before hitting the open market 13 months from now.
Because the Cardinals missed the playoffs Pujols is unlikely to garner a ton of MVP support from voters, but he hit .312/.414/.596 while leading the league with 42 homers, 118 RBIs, and 115 runs. He also ranked second to Joey Votto in OPS. In other words, he had another MVP-caliber season.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)