Oct 6, 2010, 4:16 PM EST
Cliff Lee was somewhat underwhelming in his 15 regular season starts for the Rangers, going 4-6 with a 3.98 ERA, but he was his usual dominant self this afternoon back on the playoff stage.
Lee out-dueled David Price with 10 strikeouts in seven innings of one-run ball, with a Ben Zobrist homer accounting for the only damage. He left with a 5-1 lead and if the Rangers’ bullpen does its job he’ll improve to 5-0 with a 1.52 ERA and 43/6 K/BB ratio in six career postseason starts. He’s thrown at least seven innings in all six of those starts and has allowed more than one earned run just once.
Between the regular season and playoffs Lee now has a 195/18 K/BB ratio, which works out to an absolutely ridiculous 10.83 strikeouts per walk. Not only is that the best strikeout-to-walk ratio in baseball history, no other pitcher with 200-plus innings has ever reached double-digits.
And now he’ll be waiting for the Rays in Game 5 (or for the Twins-Yankees winner in Game 1 of the ALCS).
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)