Oct 6, 2010, 11:59 AM EDT
What was the problem with the Mets this year? The rotation? The pen? The injuries? Nah, according to John Harper of the Daily News it was all about character. Or the lack thereof:
Let’s start with toughness, the one intangible the Mets have lacked most in recent years . . . Not that retaliating or even fighting is a cure-all for the Mets.
Talent aside, however, winning in the big leagues starts with attitude,
with the type of mental and physical toughness that has defined the
Phillies and separated them from the Mets.
And writing for the New York tabloids starts with believing — with a religious fervor — that an unsuccessful baseball team lacks character and a successful one has it in spades.
“Talent aside?” Talent is almost everything, dude. Then comes health, then comes good fortune. To the extent “toughness” isn’t some post-facto concept writers see when they want to see it and ignore when it suits their purposes, it’s rounding error on the final 1% of the equation.
But I guess you can’t dwell on that when you write in a media environment that demands that everything be explained by reference to heroes and villains, clutch performers and chokers, men and wusses and the like.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)