Oct 6, 2010, 11:59 AM EDT
What was the problem with the Mets this year? The rotation? The pen? The injuries? Nah, according to John Harper of the Daily News it was all about character. Or the lack thereof:
Let’s start with toughness, the one intangible the Mets have lacked most in recent years . . . Not that retaliating or even fighting is a cure-all for the Mets.
Talent aside, however, winning in the big leagues starts with attitude,
with the type of mental and physical toughness that has defined the
Phillies and separated them from the Mets.
And writing for the New York tabloids starts with believing — with a religious fervor — that an unsuccessful baseball team lacks character and a successful one has it in spades.
“Talent aside?” Talent is almost everything, dude. Then comes health, then comes good fortune. To the extent “toughness” isn’t some post-facto concept writers see when they want to see it and ignore when it suits their purposes, it’s rounding error on the final 1% of the equation.
But I guess you can’t dwell on that when you write in a media environment that demands that everything be explained by reference to heroes and villains, clutch performers and chokers, men and wusses and the like.
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 7
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 8
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 5
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 15
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)