Oct 6, 2010, 11:59 AM EST
What was the problem with the Mets this year? The rotation? The pen? The injuries? Nah, according to John Harper of the Daily News it was all about character. Or the lack thereof:
Let’s start with toughness, the one intangible the Mets have lacked most in recent years . . . Not that retaliating or even fighting is a cure-all for the Mets.
Talent aside, however, winning in the big leagues starts with attitude,
with the type of mental and physical toughness that has defined the
Phillies and separated them from the Mets.
And writing for the New York tabloids starts with believing — with a religious fervor — that an unsuccessful baseball team lacks character and a successful one has it in spades.
“Talent aside?” Talent is almost everything, dude. Then comes health, then comes good fortune. To the extent “toughness” isn’t some post-facto concept writers see when they want to see it and ignore when it suits their purposes, it’s rounding error on the final 1% of the equation.
But I guess you can’t dwell on that when you write in a media environment that demands that everything be explained by reference to heroes and villains, clutch performers and chokers, men and wusses and the like.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 255
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (255)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)