Oct 6, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
Yeah that’s right, the big, bad, New York Yankees beat the Minnesota Twins to the punch on Tuesday, swiping the underdog role right out from under their noses. Not surprisingly, Alex Rodriguez was the culprit, telling the New York Times: “I mean, for us to be David in this situation, I think, is great.”
Well, whatever the Yankees need to do to motivate themselves and build team unity is fine, though I would think those big fat paychecks would be enough. They certainly didn’t seem all that motivated down the stretch, finishing 6-9 as they refused to steal the AL East away from the Tampa Bay Rays.
Of course one has to wonder if that was part of the grand plan in the Bronx, setting up a series vs. the Twins, who they are 9-2 against in the postseason since 2003, instead of the Rangers, who feature Cliff Lee at the top of their rotation. But we’ll leave that one for the conspiracy theorists.
So what now for the Twins? If the Yankees are David, what does that make them? Erkel?
Regardless, it should be a fun series, and I’m not going to read a whole lot into the underdog stuff nonsense. Heck, even Mark Teixeira couldn’t keep a straight face.
Asked if he believed the Yankees were truly underdogs, Teixeira smiled and said: “Yeah, why not? I think it’s fun. I think we’ll enjoy that role.”
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 11
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 26
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 50
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)