Oct 6, 2010, 12:10 AM EST
Yeah that’s right, the big, bad, New York Yankees beat the Minnesota Twins to the punch on Tuesday, swiping the underdog role right out from under their noses. Not surprisingly, Alex Rodriguez was the culprit, telling the New York Times: “I mean, for us to be David in this situation, I think, is great.”
Well, whatever the Yankees need to do to motivate themselves and build team unity is fine, though I would think those big fat paychecks would be enough. They certainly didn’t seem all that motivated down the stretch, finishing 6-9 as they refused to steal the AL East away from the Tampa Bay Rays.
Of course one has to wonder if that was part of the grand plan in the Bronx, setting up a series vs. the Twins, who they are 9-2 against in the postseason since 2003, instead of the Rangers, who feature Cliff Lee at the top of their rotation. But we’ll leave that one for the conspiracy theorists.
So what now for the Twins? If the Yankees are David, what does that make them? Erkel?
Regardless, it should be a fun series, and I’m not going to read a whole lot into the underdog stuff nonsense. Heck, even Mark Teixeira couldn’t keep a straight face.
Asked if he believed the Yankees were truly underdogs, Teixeira smiled and said: “Yeah, why not? I think it’s fun. I think we’ll enjoy that role.”
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 105
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)