Oct 6, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT
Yeah that’s right, the big, bad, New York Yankees beat the Minnesota Twins to the punch on Tuesday, swiping the underdog role right out from under their noses. Not surprisingly, Alex Rodriguez was the culprit, telling the New York Times: “I mean, for us to be David in this situation, I think, is great.”
Well, whatever the Yankees need to do to motivate themselves and build team unity is fine, though I would think those big fat paychecks would be enough. They certainly didn’t seem all that motivated down the stretch, finishing 6-9 as they refused to steal the AL East away from the Tampa Bay Rays.
Of course one has to wonder if that was part of the grand plan in the Bronx, setting up a series vs. the Twins, who they are 9-2 against in the postseason since 2003, instead of the Rangers, who feature Cliff Lee at the top of their rotation. But we’ll leave that one for the conspiracy theorists.
So what now for the Twins? If the Yankees are David, what does that make them? Erkel?
Regardless, it should be a fun series, and I’m not going to read a whole lot into the underdog stuff nonsense. Heck, even Mark Teixeira couldn’t keep a straight face.
Asked if he believed the Yankees were truly underdogs, Teixeira smiled and said: “Yeah, why not? I think it’s fun. I think we’ll enjoy that role.”
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)