How cute, the Yankees think they are underdogs

Oct 6, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT

Wait, what?

Yeah that’s right, the big, bad, New York Yankees beat the Minnesota Twins to the punch on Tuesday, swiping the underdog role right out from under their noses. Not surprisingly, Alex Rodriguez was the culprit, telling the New York Times: “I mean, for us to be David in this situation, I think, is great.”

Well, whatever the Yankees need to do to motivate themselves and build team unity is fine, though I would think those big fat paychecks would be enough. They certainly didn’t seem all that motivated down the stretch, finishing 6-9 as they refused to steal the AL East away from the Tampa Bay Rays.

Of course one has to wonder if that was part of the grand plan in the Bronx, setting up a series vs. the Twins, who they are 9-2 against in the postseason since 2003, instead of the Rangers, who feature Cliff Lee at the top of their rotation. But we’ll leave that one for the conspiracy theorists.

So what now for the Twins? If the Yankees are David, what does that make them? Erkel?

Regardless, it should be a fun series, and I’m not going to read a whole lot into the underdog stuff nonsense. Heck, even Mark Teixeira couldn’t keep a straight face.

Asked if he believed the Yankees were truly underdogs, Teixeira smiled and said: “Yeah, why not? I think it’s fun. I think we’ll enjoy that role.”

Follow me, a true David, on Twitter here. Get all your HBT updates here.

1. V... - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Gotcha… Nothing wrong with that, since you’re staying above the “Mendoza Line”….

2. Cincy Sam - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:36 PM

Does Las Vegas play the game? Don’t put too much weight on betting odds. they are not in the game, but designed to make winners out of the gamblers who take bets.

3. basedrum777 - Oct 6, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Sterling is hideous but I will say the game recently when he had a real color man (Tino) he did an excellent game. I think maybe he needs a better supporting team….

4. Jonny5 - Oct 6, 2010 at 2:17 PM

It really works when you look at their faces in that picture. Yeah, i’m not the most mature ball fan around.

5. sportsdrenched - Oct 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM

I find the Vegas people usually know what they’re doing.
    But the possibility of an upset is why we watch.
    …and rooting for the Yankees is like rooting for ExxonMobile

6. DarthJeter - Oct 6, 2010 at 7:11 PM

@Kelly – in 96, the Yankees were heavy underdogs to the Braves.

7. SouthofHeaven - Oct 6, 2010 at 8:53 PM

1996.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3286)