How cute, the Yankees think they are underdogs

Oct 6, 2010, 12:10 AM EDT

Wait, what?

Yeah that’s right, the big, bad, New York Yankees beat the Minnesota Twins to the punch on Tuesday, swiping the underdog role right out from under their noses. Not surprisingly, Alex Rodriguez was the culprit, telling the New York Times: “I mean, for us to be David in this situation, I think, is great.”

Well, whatever the Yankees need to do to motivate themselves and build team unity is fine, though I would think those big fat paychecks would be enough. They certainly didn’t seem all that motivated down the stretch, finishing 6-9 as they refused to steal the AL East away from the Tampa Bay Rays.

Of course one has to wonder if that was part of the grand plan in the Bronx, setting up a series vs. the Twins, who they are 9-2 against in the postseason since 2003, instead of the Rangers, who feature Cliff Lee at the top of their rotation. But we’ll leave that one for the conspiracy theorists.

So what now for the Twins? If the Yankees are David, what does that make them? Erkel?

Regardless, it should be a fun series, and I’m not going to read a whole lot into the underdog stuff nonsense. Heck, even Mark Teixeira couldn’t keep a straight face.

Asked if he believed the Yankees were truly underdogs, Teixeira smiled and said: “Yeah, why not? I think it’s fun. I think we’ll enjoy that role.”

Follow me, a true David, on Twitter here. Get all your HBT updates here.

1. Mrsteve - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:32 AM

The HGH is rotting ARod’s brain.

2. Giant Space Ants - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:15 AM

Ah, the Twins… they have a sweet, heavenly voice… like Urkel! And they
    appear every Friday night… like Urkel!

3. Kiwicricket - Oct 6, 2010 at 2:31 AM

To be fair, I wouldn’t think much was happening long before the roids, HGH and intercourse with Madonna. Naturally stupid he is.

4. Kelly - Oct 6, 2010 at 9:07 AM

Okay, seriously, have the Yankees EVER been underdogs? Ever? I’m scratching my head trying to remember a time when they weren’t the Empire. I hope this is one of those times where ARod is trying to be a funny everyman in the pursuit of being voted prom king.

5. Jonny5 - Oct 6, 2010 at 9:28 AM

I think he’s practicing in that picture. Practicing to poop on the twins mound. Isn’t that cute? he’s teaching Nicky to do it too.

6. MK - Oct 6, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Yankee haters are so cute. :)

7. stolie - Oct 6, 2010 at 9:44 AM

What a ruse! Of course the Yankees would rather play the Twins instead of the Rangers. Great move for the Yankee Manager.

8. Cincy Sam - Oct 6, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Laugh all you people want. The Yanks are going down this time. If CC does not win the first game, it will be 3 and out for the Yanks. Look at the pitching match ups. I have spoken.
    P.S. I also predicted the Reds over the Cards last April!

9. Cru11 - Oct 6, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Call me a five year old but I laughed out loud.

10. Proudly Canadian - Oct 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Neither team finished the season strongly, but the Twins simply stunk after they wrapped up their playoff berth.

11. CalinCT - Oct 6, 2010 at 11:48 AM

Underdogs?
    Well, a WHOLE lotta people seem to be picking the Twins in this series…so I’m not sure he’s TOO far off.
    Maybe the fact their not prohibitive favorites makes it SEEM, to the Yankee players, that they’re underdogs.

12. jaypeso - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:16 PM

i guess we can all take that to the bank, do you by any chance have the winning lottery numbers for this weekend?

13. V... - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Kelly if you can’t remember a time when the Yankees weren’t the Empire, then you must have been pretty young in the 80’s… those were sucky years to be aa Yankee fan.
    As for the whole underdog thing…. of course on paper the Yankees are a juggernaut… but big paychecks don’t win games… PITCHING wins games… (that’s why pitchers get wins and losses on their records)… and right now the pitching (aside from CC) seems like it’s always a crap shoot… either pitching a one hitter, or giving up 13 runs… (as a side note, I think skipping AJ in the playoffs is a mistake… his problem is mental, not physical, and this will only make him less confident).
    I don’t know if the Yankees can pull it off again this year… But I will root for them as I have done since the sucky 80’s… I didn’t jump on the winning bandwagon in the 90’s… I’ve been a Yankee fan since infancy, listening to the Phil Rizzuto calling the plays…
    Go Yankees!

14. V... - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Sooooooo… you’re saying Girardi told the team to intentionally lose games to dictate who they would face…..?

15. basedrum777 - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Technically we’re just the wild card….

16. V... - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Should’ve pooped on the A’s mound…. then Dallas Braden would’ve been screaming “DON’T POOP ON MY MOUND”!!!! It’s hard to sound mean and tough screaming the word POOP.

17. Griffey's Gigantism - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Vegas *totally* disagrees with A-rod:
    Philadelphia Phillies 2/1
    New York Yankees 7/2
    Tampa Bay Rays 9/2
    San Francisco Giants 7/1
    Minnesota Twins 17/2
    Texas Rangers 10/1
    Cincinnati Reds 11/1
    Atlanta Braves 12/1
    The Yankees are also 3/1 to try to slap a ball out of an opponent’s hand, 4/1 to yell at a third baseman little-league style while a pop up is in the air, 7/1 to dance around and pretend to be hit by a pitch, 10/1 to have John Sterling add “-ambino” to the end of someone’s name after a home run and 13/1 to have the Steinbrenner family hire a private investigator to dig up dirt on a player and try to get out of his contract.

18. birdmancometh - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Predicting Reds over Cards would carry more weight if you wren’t a Reds fan.

19. V... - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM

Everybody looks tired… long season… need to get that 4th or 5th wind… Go big or go home.

20. V... - Oct 6, 2010 at 12:51 PM

Jeez…. hold a grudge much?
    The Steinbrenner thing was from the 70’s.. and the man is dead now….. Step out of the past and move on…
    The ball slapping, and HA! incidents were very embarrassing…. but… A-rod while still a douche, has grown a little, and matured from a complete, and utter douchebag, to just a plain ol’ douche… there is hope.
    Jeter’s phantom HBP agains the Rays… Even the Rays manager liked Jeters deke on getting hit, and said he would’ve loved it if one of his guys had done it…
    The Sterling comment was pretty damn funny though….

21. Griffey's Gigantism - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Yeah, not really a grudge as much as trying to get a chuckle out of somebody… I’m no professional humorist, so I’ll take a .200 average there and be happy with it.

22. Chris Fiorentino - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:23 PM

As much as I hate the Yankers, I love Sterling. My favorite of all was for Melky Cabrera Home Runs…”THE MELKMAN DELIVERS!!!!!” Close behind are “AN A-BOMB…FROM A-ROD!!!!” “EL CAPITAN!!!!” and “ROBBIE CANO…WHADDYA KNOW!!!!!” Nobody can touch Sterling.

23. carly - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Um, from the early 80’s until the mid 90’s…

24. V... - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Sigh…. yes…. it was rough… I actually went to more games during that period, than when they were finally good.

25. Cincy Sam - Oct 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM

Of course it is, if I didn’t use statistics to prove my case in April! the Cards had two great pitchers and very little else. They did not have a legit closer, and the Reds had a great one. The Reds have great depth in pitching, and the Cards do not (two IS NOT ENOUGH). The only area where the Cards were favored is at first base, and management. And, Votto neutralized the advantage the birds had at first base. So. the birds had no chance logically, even with TLR leading them.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3071)