Oct 6, 2010, 11:49 AM EST
Last week general manager Dave Dombrowski said the Tigers will not attempt to re-sign impending free agent Johnny Damon, but yesterday the 36-year-old outfielder made it clear that he has no plans to retire:
I definitely want to keep playing, but it’s going to have to be somewhere else because Detroit has a lot of young outfielders who hopefully I helped groom. It seems like every year I’m up to the challenge so I believe whatever team that gets me, I’ll be an asset for next year.
Damon played reasonably well on a one-year, $8 million deal with the Tigers and as usual stayed remarkably healthy, hitting .271/.355/.401 with 49 extra-base hits, 11 steals, and 81 runs in 145 games. That production represented a 100-point dip in OPS compared to his numbers with the Yankees in 2008/2009, but some of that is due to no longer calling Yankee Stadium home and Damon was still solidly above average offensively.
He also became just the fifth player in MLB history to play 140 or more games in 15 straight seasons, joining Hank Aaron, Brooks Robinson, Pete Rose, and Willie Mays. However, if he was only able to get a one-year, $8 million contract last winter coming off an .850 OPS season it’ll be interesting to see what the market is for Damon coming off a .750 OPS season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)