Oct 6, 2010, 11:49 AM EST
Last week general manager Dave Dombrowski said the Tigers will not attempt to re-sign impending free agent Johnny Damon, but yesterday the 36-year-old outfielder made it clear that he has no plans to retire:
I definitely want to keep playing, but it’s going to have to be somewhere else because Detroit has a lot of young outfielders who hopefully I helped groom. It seems like every year I’m up to the challenge so I believe whatever team that gets me, I’ll be an asset for next year.
Damon played reasonably well on a one-year, $8 million deal with the Tigers and as usual stayed remarkably healthy, hitting .271/.355/.401 with 49 extra-base hits, 11 steals, and 81 runs in 145 games. That production represented a 100-point dip in OPS compared to his numbers with the Yankees in 2008/2009, but some of that is due to no longer calling Yankee Stadium home and Damon was still solidly above average offensively.
He also became just the fifth player in MLB history to play 140 or more games in 15 straight seasons, joining Hank Aaron, Brooks Robinson, Pete Rose, and Willie Mays. However, if he was only able to get a one-year, $8 million contract last winter coming off an .850 OPS season it’ll be interesting to see what the market is for Damon coming off a .750 OPS season.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)