Oct 6, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
I know there are a lot of things that go into building a manager’s reputation that none of us see: friendships, conversations on the field before games and all manner of things that go on when baseball isn’t actually being played. But I still have a hard time seeing why Juan Samuel would, as Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports, be up for at least three open managers’ jobs this winter. Zrebiec calls Samuel a candidate for the Seattle, Pittsburgh and maybe even the Toronto jobs.
He may be highly respected, but this season gave us the closest thing we usually get to managerial acumen being tested via the scientific method. The Orioles lost a lot of games under Dave Trembley. Samuel came in and the team performed no better. Then Buck Showalter came in and the team improved dramatically. This all occurred with basically the same roster.
I don’t really think we can perfectly quantify managing like that — and as I’ve said, a guy who keeps the clubhouse happy and retains the respect of his players is what teams should really be looking for — but how do you not look at what happened in Baltimore this year and, at the very least, ask yourself if there aren’t better options than Samuel?
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)