Oct 6, 2010, 8:43 AM EDT
There was some Twitter-glee yesterday as some New York writers were saying some variation of “the Mets started asking permission to speak to GM candidates but no one will grant them permission.”
Look, I love bashing the Mets as much as anyone, but that seems kind of crazy. It had been, what, one day? And as far as I could tell the Mets had asked the Marlins if they could talk to any number of executives who they probably want to keep and who are under contract for several years. This is not worthy of Mets criticism. They’ll do plenty of things this winter that are, however, so let’s all just hold our fire, OK?
And anyway, according to Jerry Crasnick at least one Marlins exec is still in the running: Assistant GM Dan Jennings. While it had been reported that he was in the group of people the Marlins wanted to declare off limits, Crasnick says that Jennings’ contract allows him to interview with the Mets without the Marlins’ consent. Assuming he wants the job.
I don’t know much about Jennings, but if you control for Jeff Loria, the Marlins front office is a pretty sharp and efficient outfit. They usually manage to field a competitive team on scant resources and that takes some talent. Jennings is part of that equation. He’s probably a good candidate.
And if you’re Jennings, you may be one of the few executives from another team for whom going to work for Jeff Wilpon won’t be that big of a problem. Because, again, Loria.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris