Oct 6, 2010, 8:43 AM EDT
There was some Twitter-glee yesterday as some New York writers were saying some variation of “the Mets started asking permission to speak to GM candidates but no one will grant them permission.”
Look, I love bashing the Mets as much as anyone, but that seems kind of crazy. It had been, what, one day? And as far as I could tell the Mets had asked the Marlins if they could talk to any number of executives who they probably want to keep and who are under contract for several years. This is not worthy of Mets criticism. They’ll do plenty of things this winter that are, however, so let’s all just hold our fire, OK?
And anyway, according to Jerry Crasnick at least one Marlins exec is still in the running: Assistant GM Dan Jennings. While it had been reported that he was in the group of people the Marlins wanted to declare off limits, Crasnick says that Jennings’ contract allows him to interview with the Mets without the Marlins’ consent. Assuming he wants the job.
I don’t know much about Jennings, but if you control for Jeff Loria, the Marlins front office is a pretty sharp and efficient outfit. They usually manage to field a competitive team on scant resources and that takes some talent. Jennings is part of that equation. He’s probably a good candidate.
And if you’re Jennings, you may be one of the few executives from another team for whom going to work for Jeff Wilpon won’t be that big of a problem. Because, again, Loria.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 26
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 7
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)