Oct 6, 2010, 8:43 AM EST
There was some Twitter-glee yesterday as some New York writers were saying some variation of “the Mets started asking permission to speak to GM candidates but no one will grant them permission.”
Look, I love bashing the Mets as much as anyone, but that seems kind of crazy. It had been, what, one day? And as far as I could tell the Mets had asked the Marlins if they could talk to any number of executives who they probably want to keep and who are under contract for several years. This is not worthy of Mets criticism. They’ll do plenty of things this winter that are, however, so let’s all just hold our fire, OK?
And anyway, according to Jerry Crasnick at least one Marlins exec is still in the running: Assistant GM Dan Jennings. While it had been reported that he was in the group of people the Marlins wanted to declare off limits, Crasnick says that Jennings’ contract allows him to interview with the Mets without the Marlins’ consent. Assuming he wants the job.
I don’t know much about Jennings, but if you control for Jeff Loria, the Marlins front office is a pretty sharp and efficient outfit. They usually manage to field a competitive team on scant resources and that takes some talent. Jennings is part of that equation. He’s probably a good candidate.
And if you’re Jennings, you may be one of the few executives from another team for whom going to work for Jeff Wilpon won’t be that big of a problem. Because, again, Loria.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (201)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)