Oct 6, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
In a surprise move, Placido Polanco is not in the Phillies’ lineup for Game 1 of the NLDS later this afternoon, with Wilson Valdez starting at third base in his absence.
Polanco has had elbow problems for most of the season and needed cortisone shots down the stretch to deal with the pain from a bone chip, but told reporters yesterday that he was feeling healthy enough to play.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that a back injury, not the elbow injury, is what has Polanco on the bench.
Polanco hit .298/.336/.396 despite playing through the bone chip and primarily batted second in the Phillies’ lineup throughout the regular season, but Shane Victorino is filling that spot today while Valdez and his measly .258/.306/.360 line bat eighth. Jimmy Rollins is leading off.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 60
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)