Oct 6, 2010, 1:16 PM EST
In a surprise move, Placido Polanco is not in the Phillies’ lineup for Game 1 of the NLDS later this afternoon, with Wilson Valdez starting at third base in his absence.
Polanco has had elbow problems for most of the season and needed cortisone shots down the stretch to deal with the pain from a bone chip, but told reporters yesterday that he was feeling healthy enough to play.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that a back injury, not the elbow injury, is what has Polanco on the bench.
Polanco hit .298/.336/.396 despite playing through the bone chip and primarily batted second in the Phillies’ lineup throughout the regular season, but Shane Victorino is filling that spot today while Valdez and his measly .258/.306/.360 line bat eighth. Jimmy Rollins is leading off.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)