Oct 6, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
In a surprise move, Placido Polanco is not in the Phillies’ lineup for Game 1 of the NLDS later this afternoon, with Wilson Valdez starting at third base in his absence.
Polanco has had elbow problems for most of the season and needed cortisone shots down the stretch to deal with the pain from a bone chip, but told reporters yesterday that he was feeling healthy enough to play.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that a back injury, not the elbow injury, is what has Polanco on the bench.
Polanco hit .298/.336/.396 despite playing through the bone chip and primarily batted second in the Phillies’ lineup throughout the regular season, but Shane Victorino is filling that spot today while Valdez and his measly .258/.306/.360 line bat eighth. Jimmy Rollins is leading off.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 3
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 180
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)