Oct 6, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
In a surprise move, Placido Polanco is not in the Phillies’ lineup for Game 1 of the NLDS later this afternoon, with Wilson Valdez starting at third base in his absence.
Polanco has had elbow problems for most of the season and needed cortisone shots down the stretch to deal with the pain from a bone chip, but told reporters yesterday that he was feeling healthy enough to play.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that a back injury, not the elbow injury, is what has Polanco on the bench.
Polanco hit .298/.336/.396 despite playing through the bone chip and primarily batted second in the Phillies’ lineup throughout the regular season, but Shane Victorino is filling that spot today while Valdez and his measly .258/.306/.360 line bat eighth. Jimmy Rollins is leading off.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)