Quote of the Day: The Rays Radio Guy

Oct 6, 2010, 4:31 PM EST

So I’m watching the Rangers-Rays game through, oh, the seventh inning, when the front door opens up and my kids walk in, fresh off the school bus. I don’t know if there’s anything more jacked up with energy than kids who have been yelling at each other and eating candy for the last half hour.  They were loud and crazy and obnoxious, so I gave up on trying to watch the game and blog and retired to the Craig Cave where I do my blogging most of the time.

For reasons that are too complicated to get in to, I don’t have a TV in here, and because MLB.tv is blacked out all postseason, I’m stuck with the Gameday radio feed. Which isn’t horrible, actually. I like baseball on the radio. I learned the game more through the radio as a kid than I did on TV, so this is actually kind of nice.  But I did just get a great quote from the Rays’ play-by-play guy:

“Sold out crowd today and the ballpark is looking beautiful.”

I guess it’s a day of many firsts down in St. Petersburg.

1. sportsdrenched - Oct 6, 2010 at 4:49 PM

I’ve been to about half of the MLB parks. The Trop is one of the worst. The only reason I don’t say THE worst is Oakland’s yard is worse.

2. gerryb323 - Oct 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM

You could pay the $10 for the mlb.tv coverage of the postseason…although not having the broadcast angle is annoying.

3. RichardInBigD - Oct 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM

A sold out crowd at the Trop is like lipstick on a pig. It may not actually BE beautiful, but it’s as close as it’s gonna get…

4. fungo - Oct 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM

doesn’t mlb.tv include that weird ‘choose your own camera angle’ garbage without sound or a scoreboard like last year?

5. gerryb323 - Oct 6, 2010 at 5:35 PM

it’s got the sound this year, but you do have to pick the camera angle. they aren’t allowed to show the broadcast feed. it’s better than nothing at work though! you can watch up to four angles at a time, but sometimes they get a little unsynched…i made up a word there i think

6. Kiwicricket - Oct 6, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Actually, I am curious as to what I am being billed for….I am on the other side of the planet and have had MLB TV all season. Getting the Phillies game no problem….what did they just peg onto my credit card?

7. Ick McWang - Oct 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM

I love how all the media picks on the Rays attendance. San Diego, Atlanta, and Cincinnati were all in the playoff chase, and all have similar attendance to the Rays, but all we hear about is how lousy Tampa is.

8. adam - Oct 6, 2010 at 8:46 PM

For a sold out crowd a lot of them dressed as empty seats behind home plate.

9. NYCBaseball - Oct 7, 2010 at 12:56 PM

I couldn’t figure it out either. Supposedly sold out, but there were a LOT of empty seats. It was a great game, though. Lots of energy in the ballpark.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5172)